Let’s talk about Cube Steak. You might be asking: “What exactly is cube Steak?” I didn’t know either, until recently, when I purchased a grass-fed meat bundle and wound up with almost 5 lbs of it.
It is a cut of beef, usually from the top sirloin or top round, that is tenderized through an electric tenderizer. The cuts are thin and resemble a cutlet of some sort but have a “cubed” surface appearance from the tenderizer machine. Here is the official Wiki for Cube Steak if you want to learn more.
I searched “How To Cook Cube Steak” on Google and Pinterest and found the same couple of recipes over and over (dump in a slow cooker with onion soup mix – no thanks!) and a few variations on a sandwich using crappy ingredients.
After reading up on it for a while, the consensus is that you either cook it low and slow or very quickly over high heat.
Since I have so much of it, I will be experimenting a bit, but for now, I think this super quick technique is tasty and makes for an unbelievably easy weeknight dinner. Plus, Cube Steak (even grass-fed) is pretty cheap!
- How To Make Fried or Caramelized Onions: Here is a quick tutorial on how to make either Fried (aka quick) or Caramelized (aka slow) Onions. Both are great on top of this steak – make what you have time for!
11 Points Plus Per Serving -- Serves 4
5 minPrep Time
6 minCook Time
11 minTotal Time
- 2 Tablespoons butter or Ghee, divided for batch cooking
- 8 Cube Steaks (about 2 lbs total)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- fried or caramelized onions (see NOTES)
- handful chopped parsley for garnish
- Sprinkle both sides of each Cube Steak cutlet with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a large frying pan (large enough to hold 2 of the Cube Steaks with some room between them - a 12" frying pan worked perfectly for me) over high heat. Once very hot, add 1/2 Tablespoon of butter to frying pan. Add 2 of the Steaks to the pan and cook, undisturbed, for 3 minutes.
- Turn and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with the butter and steaks until all are cooked.
- Serve topped with fried onions and chopped parsley and Enjoy!