How To Make Perfect White Rice in the Instant Pot Every Single Time! It’s all about the water to rice ratio and once you master it — foolproof!
Anyone who has an Instant Pot knows that it is pretty much a magical kitchen appliance. I use mine almost every single day, whether it’s for hard boiled eggs, a quick pot of greens, dinner in a hurry, creamy 10-minute mashed potatoes or just for cooking staples like rice.
I have to admit that when I first tried rice in my Instant Pot it was an epic failure. Mainly because I didn’t adjust the water:rice ratio and just hit the “rice” button.
After a bunch of trial and error, I discovered that the secret to making amazing rice in the Instant Pot EVERY SINGLE TIME is the water:rice ratio and it’s really different than stovetop rice.
I like to season my rice with a couple cracked cardamom pods, one star anise, some white pepper and a bit of salt. It smells amazing and the rice has the slightest hint of spice. It’s really wonderful with everything.
But, if you keep the water:rice ratio the same and make sure to add a little bit of fat and salt, you could skip the spices (try it at least once with the spices!) if you just want plain rice.
- I have tried this technique with a few varieties of White Jasmine and White Basmati rice (medium and long grain) and all have worked really well. I have NOT tested this technique with brown rice.
- Freezer: I have a 6-quart Instant Pot and always make a large batch of rice and then freeze a few containers for later in the week. It freezes and defrosts great and is perfect for things like Fried Rice or along dishes like my Creamy Paprika Chicken Skillet.
- If you want to make a meal, try Instant Pot Rice and Beans from my friend A Mindful Mom!
3 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- Instant Pot OR other Electric Pressure Cooker
- 3 cups organic white rice, rinses until water runs clear (see NOTES for tips on rice variety)
- 3 cups filtered cold water
- 1 T avocado oil
- 1 star anise
- 3 whole cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Rinse rice until water runs clear.
- Place rinsed rice into Instant Pot vessel and add filtered water, oil and spices. Stir to mix.
- Lock lid and make sure pressure cooker vent is set to "SEALED".
- Use "RICE" button or set to manual pressure for 12 minutes.
- Once done, allow to depressurize using the natural pressure release.
- If you are in a rush and want to do a manual pressure release, let it sit for at least 5 minutes first.
- Fluff rice with a fork, serve and Enjoy!
- Once cool, freeze for later.