This Chicken Rice Soup with Turmeric is a recreation of a soup that one of my local organic food stores makes and sells at their hot food bar. Basically, my little man (who is almost 11 months!) loves it like crazy and I was sick of paying $7.50 for a quart so I took a pic of the ingredients and played around until I nailed it.
There is so much goodness and flavor here. The turmeric is very subtle, adds a beautiful golden color and really enhances the fresh sage and thyme. I like to use organic Basmati rice because it tends to be a lot softer as it continues to cook but you could use jasmine or another rice.
For this recipe, I used Pacific Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth Low Sodium. When I don’t have homemade chicken stock on hand, I almost always default to using this broth or Pacific’s Bone Broth. They are not only super tasty but I trust the ingredients and Pacific Foods to consistently deliver a high quality product that I feel good about feeding my family.
You can get creative and add in some leafy greens like baby spinach, kale, chard or even collards but I really prefer this soup as is with a salad or cooked greens on the side.
My little one – well, he loves it just as it is too. He is proving to be quite the soup lover and adventurous little eater which makes this mama super happy!
- If you want a thinner soup with just a bit of rice, use 1/2 cup. If you prefer a thicker soup, go with 3/4 cup.
- This soup is perfect for leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. Just cube the leftovers and tuck away in the freezer until you are ready to make the soup. TIP: I have added frozen cubed chicken without defrosting it first and it came out perfect!
- If you use homemade broth, you may need to reduce the added salt. Taste, taste, taste and only add a little salt at a time (think 1/2 teaspoon increments).
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
This Chicken Rice Soup with Turmeric is a recreation of a soup that one of my local organic food stores makes and sells at their hot food bar. Basically,
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups Pacific Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth Low Sodium
- 4 to 5 thyme sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 to 4 leaves fresh sage
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup uncooked organic Basmati rice see NOTES
- 3/4 pound cooked and cubed chicken meat see NOTES
Finely chop onion (use the food processor to save time!), thinly slice celery and dice carrots.
Measure spices and rice. Pull out broth and chicken.
Heat a large soup pot over medium high heat. Once hot add olive oil and then onion, celery, carrot, salt, turmeric and pepper. Sauté 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are starting to soften.
Add broth, fresh thyme and sage and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, add uncooked rice and cubed chicken. Cover, reduce heat to a low boil and cook for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
Remove from heat, adjust salt and pepper if necessary, serve and Enjoy!
Disclosure: I am being compensated by Pacific Foods as a Culinary Ambassador. As always, I only partner with companies whose ethics and ingredients align with my values and am proud to partner with Pacific.