Our Arugula Salad Recipe is on the table in just 5 minutes! This popular salad has an easy Balsamic Dressing, fresh lemon zest, and a few cherry tomatoes. The flavor combo balances out any bitterness from the Arugula and makes for a delicious side or entree salad!
Arugula seems to be one of the most polarizing raw greens, maybe right behind Dandelion greens (but not by much!). People either love it or hate it and, similar to cilantro, those that love it cannot get enough and those that hate it, avoid it at all costs.
Well, consider this arugula salad a peacemaker – it is meant to bring everyone together. It will please all of the arugula lovers and easily convert those who abstain from arugula.
Like many vegetables that have a hate fan club, I truly believe it is almost always about the preparation.
WHAT IS ARUGULA?
Arugula, also known as “Rocket”, is a leafy vegetable usually found in the lettuce section of the produce department. It is slightly bitter and sometimes a bit spicy, and often described as peppery.
Young arugula or Baby arugula is milder as it is picked before the plant matures and begins to express its true flavor profile.
Arugula greens are popular in French and Italian cuisine but used all over the world.
Since arugula is spicy, peppery and even somewhat bitter, it is not the type of green that pairs with any dressing.
HOW TO MAKE EASY BALSAMIC DRESSING
- Combine oil, balsamic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Whisk until well combined.
- Use immediately or store in a covered glass container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Will last up to five days in the fridge.
This simple lemon balsamic dressing helps to balance out those bold flavors by bringing a touch of sweetness from the balsamic and a fresh, vibrant lemon flavor from the lemon rind.
HOW TO MAKE ARUGULA SALAD
- Combine washed and dried arugula and halved cherry tomatoes in a large salad bowl.
- Add the zest from 1 medium lemon.
- Toss with Balsamic Dressing right before serving and Enjoy!
We have been making this arugula salad over and over again as a simple yet flavorful side salad that literally takes minutes to throw together!
MORE ARUGULA RECIPES:
Mexican Breakfast Salad
Black Lentil Salad with Feta and Crispy Prosciutto
Low Carb Salmon Nicoise Salad
Get the printer friendly recipe below…
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Our Arugula Salad Recipe is on the table in just minutes! This popular salad has a Lemon Balsamic Dressing, fresh lemon zest, and a few cherry tomatoes. The flavor combo balances out any bitterness from the Arugula and makes for a delicious side or entree salad!
- 1/2 pound arugula
- 1/2 cup grape or cherry tomatoes washed and halved
- 1 whole medium lemon zested
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 to 6 turns freshly ground black pepper
In a large salad or mixing bowl, combine arugula, halved grape tomatoes and the zest of an entire medium lemon.
In a separate bowl, whisk olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper together until well mixed.
When ready to serve, pour dressing over salad, toss until well coated, serve and Enjoy!
- The dressing can be made 48 to 72 hours in advance and stored in a covered glass jar in the refrigerator until ready to use. I recommend allowing the dressing to sit out at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
- If you are avoiding tomatoes, you can substitute chunks of Persian cucumber or sweet bell pepper.
UPDATE NOTES: Please note that this recipe was originally published in August 2014, but was updated in April 2019 with nutritional information, updated photos, recipe tips, and more helpful information.