It only takes 3 Minutes in the Instant Pot to make a huge pot of perfectly cooked and tender Kale! You can also use this technique for Collards or Chard!
Having cooked greens tucked into the fridge is a must for me when the weather is cooler. I love salad but honestly, I have a hard time choosing salad as frequently when it’s cold out. I just want warm foods that I can eat from a bowl.
I’ve been experimenting with cooked greens in my Instant Pot ever since I got it last year and I finally nailed the quick, easy and tasty formula that will allow us to stay stocked in greens all Fall and Winter!
The Instant Pot manual and many recipe sites will tell you that you should never cook anything without at least one cup of water and for the most part that is true. But, and the big BUT is – that when it comes cooking greens, too much water ruins the taste and texture.
Since Kale, Collards and Chard are naturally very high in water content, as long as you keep the vent “sealed”, you can add minimal liquid to the IP and still wind up with perfectly cooked greens every single time!
My recipe below is very basic and more about the technique. If you have extra time, play around with adding sliced garlic, ginger, shallot, onions, or even some chopped bacon. It all works and is great but for me, I like to keep this simple so that I can come home from the grocery store and get the greens into the pot in minutes without any extra work!
I can’t wait to hear how this works for you and if, in turn, it ups your consumption of cooked greens!
Alyssa Brantley | EverydayMaven
Yields 4 to 6
5 minPrep Time
3 minCook Time
8 minTotal Time
- 2 large heads Kale (or Collards or Chard), ribs removed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup water
- squeeze lemon juice
- Clean kale and remove leaves from stems. Cut leaves into bite sized pieces and place into the Instant Pot along with olive oil, salt, red pepper and water.
- Lock lid and make sure the knob is set to "SEALED" Set to "Manual" for 3 Minutes.
- You can use manual release or slow pressure release - either works just fine! Squeeze lemon juice, stir and adjust salt and red pepper flakes if necessary.
- Store in a covered glass container in the fridge and Enjoy!