One of my favorite dishes growing up was Sausage and Peppers. It’s really Sausage with Peppers and Onions but nobody (at least the people I know) ever calls it that. I have so many good memories of eating Sausage and Peppers sandwiches, Sausage and Peppers over rice, over pasta, straight out of the pot and (when I got older) alongside a big salad.
Traditionally, this is a dish I make on the stove top, slowly cooking down the onions and peppers and then the sausage. I would make a homemade red sauce in another pot and serve everything together with the sauce spooned over-top.
Ultimately, this recipe and cookbook inspired me to revive an old family classic but make it new again by adapting my own recipe to work in the slow cooker.
- You can easily substitute Chicken or Turkey (Italian) Sausage if you don’t eat Pork.
- If you use Spicy Sausage, you may want to cut back the crushed red pepper flakes just a bit and add more in at the end if you need to.
- I used all Green Bell Peppers but any combination of colors would work here!
- Note that if you leave the sausage in the slow cooker for too long, it can really lose it’s texture and become very soft. This doesn’t bother me for a dish like this, but if texture is a thing for you, keep this in mind.
15 minPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
6 hr, 15 Total Time
- 5 to 6 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 green bell peppers, halved from top to bottom, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can unsalted crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 3/4 to 2 pounds uncooked Italian Sausage Links (Mild or Spicy)
- chopped Italian parsley for serving (optional)
- Finely chop garlic. I used my food processor with the chopping blade to save time.
- If you are using a food processor, swap the chopping blade for the slicing disc
- Slice bell peppers in half from top to bottom. Remove the ribs and any seeds.
- Proceed to thinly slice or use the food processor to slice exactly like the onions.
- Add the sliced bell peppers to the slow cooker along with the salt, Italian Seasoning, dried oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, 1/4 cup cold water and can of crushed tomatoes. Toss until well coated and liquid is evenly distributed.
- Remove about half of the peppers and onion mixture to a bowl. Bury the uncooked sausages in the middle and return the peppers and onions back to the slow cooker to cover the sausage. Add the bay leaf. Cover, set to low and cook for 6 hours. The onions and peppers will give off a lot of water as they cook which will make the sauce liquid and spoon-able so don't stress that there isn't enough liquid. Top with some chopped parsley, serve hot and Enjoy!