One of the very first recipes I ever posted to Everyday Maven was this Slow Cooker Vegan Saag Paneer Recipe. I’ve since played around with it and made it with shrimp, chicken and of course – real Paneer cheese.
I even tried pork, but wasn’t crazy about the results.
My favorite variation of the Saag Paneer is this Chicken Saag version. It is perfect for a mostly hands-off weeknight dinner, it’s filling, freezes well, super easy to make, has a healthy dose of greens in the dish and makes almost everyone in my family happy.
Plus, it’s naturally Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Paleo, Whole30 and Low-Carb!
I like to serve it over Cauliflower Rice (or this Ginger Coconut Cauliflower Rice) to keep the carbs low but if you are looking for a “real” rice recipe, it would also go very well over this Spiced Coconut Rice.
- This is intentionally MILD (you can thank my 5-year old for that). To add a bit more heat to this, add 1 or 2 dried chilies. Make sure to remove and discard them before pureeing the spinach mixture!
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer the spinach mixture to a food processor or blender to puree.
- I used a 6.5 Quart Slow Cooker for this recipe.
6 Points Plus Per Serving -- Serves 8
5 minPrep Time
4 hrCook Time
4 hr, 5 Total Time
- 4 to 5 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3" fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can organic tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (separated into 1 tsp and 1/2 tsp)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 13.5-ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 2 16-ounce bags frozen chopped or whole leaf spinach
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh, cut into bite sized pieces
- fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish (optional)
- cooked white rice or
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT for chicken, cilantro and 1/2 teaspoon salt to slow cooker.
- Set to low and cook for 4 hours.
- At about 2 hours and 30 minutes, use a handheld immersion blender to puree mixture until creamy.
- Next, add in cubed chicken, additional 1/2 teaspoon of salt and continue cooking covered for remaining 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve over white rice or cauliflower rice topped with chopped cilantro and Enjoy!
- Keeps well in the fridge for leftovers and freezes great