One of the most popular recipes on my website is, “How To Make Cauliflower Rice” and lately I have been experimenting with how to cook the cauliflower rice more efficiently, in larger batches and with the intention of achieving a more “rice-like”, fluffy texture.
Since cauliflower is a vegetable, it is water-rich and I have found that when I cook it in a frying pan, even “dry-frying”, it still gets a bit water-logged for me.
One day, a couple of weeks ago, I was making a stir fry while simultaneously cooking a pot of stock and prepping some hard-boiled eggs for the week. I realized I was out of room on the stove-top and needed to get creative if I was going to get the cauliflower rice done in time for dinner.
I preheated the oven to 425F, grabbed two baking sheets and tossed the cauli rice out into a single layer. A sprinkle of salt and into the oven. I watched the trays pretty carefully and after about 15 minutes, it was perfect!
Light, fluffy and much more “rice-like” than any cauliflower rice I have ever made before. My parents (who don’t eat Paleo) were so impressed, they said they could see themselves subbing it for rice more frequently than not!
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Ginger Coconut Cauliflower Rice
- 1 large head cauliflower approximately 15 to 16 ounces of florets, riced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger root peeled and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- chopped scallions for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 425F. Trim cauliflower and place florets in the food processor. Pulse until rice-like consistency is achieved (For a detailed tutorial, click here.)
- Transfer “rice” to a mixing bowl and use a microplane grater to grate fresh ginger into rice. Add kosher salt and mix until well combined.
- Spread rice out on two (unlined) baking sheets so it is in a single layer. Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes, tossing rice at least once during cooking.
- Remove from oven and mix in unsweetened, shredded coconut until well distributed. Transfer to a serving dish, top with chopped scallions and Enjoy!