We are swimming in zucchini and summer squash. I am not complaining – I am loving it! I always dreamed that when I had a summer garden, I would have this “problem”. It’s awesome.
Basically, every other day I am getting a full size zucchini and a full size summer squash. Then, I save them up and have been spiralizing the majority of them about once a week. I salt and strain the vegetable noodles and then store them in my fridge (in this to make sure they don’t sit in extra liquid). This makes it super easy to pull some out and whip up a quick and healthy meal in minutes.
This Sausage and Peppers over Zucchini Noodles is somewhat of a deconstructed Sausage and Peppers. A much lighter summer option seasoned with some spices and fresh tomatoes instead of a heavy sauce.
One of the things I love about this dish is that it is vegetables upon vegetables upon vegetables, well-seasoned with just the right amount of sausage. I used a mild Italian pork sausage but you could easily substitute a chicken or turkey Italian sausage – mild or spicy.
Also, if you eat dairy, a light sprinkle of Locatelli or another Parmesan on top would be fabulous!
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Sausage and Peppers over Zucchini Noodles
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage crumbled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet or yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper core removed and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper core removed and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 20 to 25 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini or summer squash noodles
- fresh parsley for serving
Halve onion and thinly slice.%http://www.everydaymaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/IMG_1894.jpg
Slice peppers in half and remove the core and seeds, thinly slice.
Halve tomatoes and slice each sausage open if in casings. This makes it easy to remove.
- Spiralize the zucchini (or squash) noodles. Click here for a tutorial.
Heat a large frying pan or skillet over medium heat until hot. Add crumbled sausage and use a wooden spoon or spatula to continue to break up into pieces as it cooked. Cook, 4 to 6 minutes, until pink is gone. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add olive oil, onion, peppers, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, black pepper, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 8 to 10 minutes, until onions are translucent and peppers are softened.
Add halved tomatoes and raise heat to high. Continue cooking an additional 3 to 4 minutes, using a wooden spoon or spatula to flatten tomatoes (and release their juices) as they cook.
Return sausage to pan along with zucchini noodles. Continue cooking until zucchini noodles are just wilted.
- Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt if need and adjust black pepper and crushed red pepper to taste. Serve with chopped parsley and Enjoy!