In honor of Cinco de Mayo tomorrow, I am bringing you this weeks Food Matters Project post a couple of days early. Since Alissa from BIG EATS…tiny kitchen selected Five Quick Salsas for Chips, Dips, and Other Stuff (page 46), I thought I would share my recipe for Spicy Pico de Gallo.
We love Pico, Guacamole, Tacos, Fajitas and all things Mexican so making Pico is something that happens A LOT in our house. While I vary how I make it by sometimes adding beans, corn or different types of peppers, I almost always make this version.
Particularly since we like a hot salsa!
If you want this to be more mild, just cut back the jalapeno and white onion. Also, when making Pico, remember that the flavors get more intense as it sits and the vegetables begin to break down. And, be sure to consider what you are serving it with. Tacos loaded with beans, lettuce and maybe even cheese? A spicy Pico will give you some balance. Just chips and Guacamole? A mild or medium Pico will make a nice accompaniment.
Check in here after Monday to see what our host and other Food Matters Project members created from “Five Quick Salsas for Chips, Dips, and Other Stuff”
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
- Click here for more info on handling jalapenos.
- Like any fresh salad or salsa, the quality of ingredients really makes a difference. Try to get the ripest and most fresh tomatoes you can – hopefully local and organic.
0 Points Plus
10 minsPrep Time
- 2 large ripe organic tomatoes, seeds removed and chopped
- 1/2 sweet white onion, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno with seeds, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 small lime, juiced
- Halve tomatoes and gently squeeze out seeds. Use your finger to loosen seeds and they will come out easier. Evenly chop tomatoes and toss into a bowl or glass container
- Finely chop garlic and cilantro and jalapeno. Chop onion, juice lime and toss into bowl along with salt and pepper. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes for flavors to meld together.
- Serve and Enjoy!