We love Pico, Guacamole, Tacos, Fajitas and all things Mexican so making Pico is something that happens A LOT in our house. While I vary how I make it by sometimes adding beans, corn or different types of peppers, I almost always make this version.
Particularly since we like hot salsa!
If you want this to be milder, just cut back the jalapeño and white onion. Also, when making Pico, remember that the flavors get more intense as it sits and the vegetables begin to break down. And, be sure to consider what you are serving it with. Tacos loaded with beans, lettuce and maybe even cheese? A spicy Pico will give you some balance. Just chips and Guacamole? A mild or medium Pico will make a nice accompaniment.
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
- Click here for more info on handling jalapeños.
- Like any fresh salad or salsa, the quality of ingredients really makes a difference. Try to get the ripest and most fresh tomatoes you can – hopefully local and organic.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Spicy Pico de Gallo
- 2 large ripe organic tomatoes seeds removed and chopped
- 1/2 sweet white onion chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno with seeds finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- handful fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 small lime juiced
Halve tomatoes and gently squeeze out seeds. Use your finger to loosen seeds and they will come out easier. Evenly chop tomatoes and toss into a bowl or glass container
Finely chop garlic and cilantro and jalapeno. Chop onion, juice lime and toss into bowl along with salt and pepper. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes for flavors to meld together.
Serve and Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @EverydayMaven on Instagram with the hashtag #EveryDayMaven and please give a star rating below.
Cookie and Kate says
Mm mmm mmmm, I love pico de gallo! The spicier, the better.
Me too – well, almost anything spicy works for me!
I like the serving bowl too!
Thanks! I got the word it was purchased at HomeGoods.