Around here in the Fall, Saturday is Football, Sunday is Football and Monday nights… yeah, you guessed it. As everyone knows, Football brings Football Food. Now Football Food is good as far as it goes, but its not usually the most health-conscious and certainly not the type of food that makes you think “Skinny Jeans”. Until this weekend anyway.
This weekend I made Beef Taco Lettuce Wraps – a dish combining two of my most favorite things; tacos and lettuce wraps. I mean really, does it get much better than that? Only if you can tell me the last time you had a plate of tacos for 8 Points? Because these Beef Taco Lettuce Wraps are only 8 Points Plus for FOUR huge tacos!
- I make my own Taco Seasoning, Click here for the recipe. If you don’t want to make your own, Simply Organic sells packets that are pretty good.
- I used Kidney Beans but I think Pinto Beans also would be great!
- As for lettuce, use any rugged leafy green lettuce. I like Boston Bibb or Butter lettuce but you could use Romaine or even Iceberg.
- Trader Joe’s sells a decent Pico de Gallo if you don’t have time to make your own ( Its what I used).
- This recipe calls for extra-lean ground beef but you could easily substitute ground chicken or ground turkey.
8 Points Plus per serving -- Recipe Makes 4 Servings or 16 Wraps -- Individual Serving is 4 Wraps
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 15-ounce can Kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- To Serve:
- 1 head Boston Bibb lettuce
- 1 cup cilantro, rough chopped
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup Pico de Gallo (or Salsa)
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek Yogurt (or Sour Cream)
- Gather your ingredients.
- Use a food processor to finely chop onion and garlic.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add in onion and garlic and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Next, add in ground beef and break up with a spoon.
- Let cook until meat is completely browned. (If you did not use extra lean ground beef, be sure to drain and return the pan)
- In a small bowl or measuring cup combine water and taco seasoning. Pour into skillet over meat and add in beans.
- Let mixture come to a boil and lower to a simmer. Let simmer uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes until there is no liquid left in skillet.
- While meat mixture is simmering, prepare your condiments; chop avocado in chunks, rough chop cilantro, clean lettuce and remove individual leaves. Place Pico de Gallo and Greek Yogurt in serving bowls. Pull out hot sauce. Serve while hot and Enjoy!