Everything you love about Chicken Fajitas but in a filling and delicious slow cooker soup! Topped with avocado, cilantro, and jalapeno, this is naturally Dairy Free!
Once upon a time when I was seventeen years old, I worked as a waitress at this local tavern called Hollywood Bistro. I don’t remember much except that every single time you had a shift, you got to pick whatever you wanted from the menu for your shift meal. For me, it was Chicken Fajitas. Every. Single. Time.
This started my love for Chicken Fajitas and it’s never faltered. I will admit that now, I do sometimes order Beef or Shrimp Fajitas, but Chicken Fajitas have always been my first love.
We have been so busy lately with the move, unpacking, getting settled and doing all the things necessary to get our older son ready for 1st grade (!) at a new school that I have found myself craving the familiar and comforting flavor of fajitas.
I decided to take all of the flavors I love about fajitas minus the dairy and create a slow cooker soup that is easy to make, naturally gluten and grain free and even Whole30 compatible!
For this recipe, I chose Pacific Foods Organic Bone Broth Chicken. It is a perfect base for this flavorful soup since it’s salt-free and really lets the flavors of the soup shine. It’s also gluten free, grain free and perfect for a Whole30!
If you are not doing a Whole30 and dairy is your friend, this is pretty amazing (according to my husband) with some melted cheese and sour cream on top. He even added some tortilla strips but you could do crispy plantain chips.
For me, I ate it just like the picture with plenty of fresh cilantro, ripe avocado, and extra jalapeno. Chicken Fajita soup perfection!
- I like to use frozen fire-roasted onions and peppers to save time and add that charred fajita flavor. I usually find these at Trader Joe’s. If you can’t find them there or at another local store, substitute two large bell peppers, seeded and sliced and one extra large sweet onion, halved and sliced (not too thin). If you can grill them or char them before adding to the slow cooker, you will get more of that “fajita” flavor!
Alyssa Brantley | EverydayMaven
10 minPrep Time
4 hrCook Time
4 hr, 10 Total Time
- 8 cups Pacific Foods Organic Bone Broth Chicken
- 1 (16-ounce jar) salsa
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons Mexican chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely chopped (or more to preference)
- 1 (14-ounce bag) frozen fire roasted onions and peppers
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- juice of 1 medium lime
- fresh cilantro
- sliced avocado
- sliced jalapeno
- plantain chips
- Thinly slice chicken breast and set aside.
- Slice jalapeno.
- Add broth, salsa, spices, sliced jalapeno, frozen peppers and onions, and sliced chicken to slow cooker.
- Cover and set to LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- Finish with fresh squeezed lime juice. Adjust salt if necessary.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro, sliced avocado and more jalapeno slices depending on desired spice level. Enjoy!
DISCLOSURE: This post is part of a series of posts sponsored by Pacific Foods. Pacific Foods has compensated me for my time to develop this recipe as their 2016 Brand Ambassador for Broths. Thank you for supporting the brands that make EverydayMaven possible. All opinions are my own.