A delicious bowl of low carb kelp noodle soup in minutes!
I first discovered Kelp Noodles a number of years ago. They are freaking awesome but I somehow kinda sorta forgot about them. Not sure what the hell happened there but they are back and in a big way.
It is fair to say that I have been using at least two packages a week for a while now and nowhere even close to bored or sick of them.
The thing that makes the Kelp Noodles so good is that they have a great noodle texture (similar to a glass noodle or Korean sweet potato noodle), are virtually tasteless (rinse well!) and have like 15 calories, zero fat and zero carbs for a huge serving.
This Quick Kelp Noodle Soup is a basic soup I have been making frequently and very versatile. For the version I photographed, I used Homemade Beef Broth and Beef that fell off the bones when I made the broth. You can easily substitute Chicken Broth and cooked chicken, Shrimp Stock and a bit of fresh, peeled and deveined Shrimp, Pork Broth and Pork or of course, keep it Vegetarian by using a nice Veg Broth and adding some egg.
When it comes to working with Kelp Noodles, you must rinse them well and be sure to snip the bunch in a couple places with scissors so you don’t wind up with ridiculously long noodles splashing about in your soup.
- I use this brand (Sea Tangle) and have been able to find them in 4 of the 5 grocery stores I shop in (I know, I know – 5 freaking stores. That is a whole other post.)
- These are NOT the same as Shirataki Noodles!
- You can substitute organic baby spinach or another quick cooking leafy green for the baby bok choy!
8 Smart Points Per Serving -- Serves 2
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 Tablespoon organic virgin coconut oil
- 1 medium clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 to 1/2 small jalapeno or serrano chile, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound (or 2 small) baby bok choy, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch white pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons coconut aminos or (1 1/2 Tablespoon gluten free Tamari)
- 1 Tablespoon your favorite brand Sriracha
- 4 ounces cooked beef (from soup)
- 1 package Sea Tangle Kelp Noodles (rinsed and cut into 4 sections)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Heat a medium pot over medium heat. Once hot, add coconut oil and then crushed garlic, sliced chile and sliced baby bok choy along with salt and white pepper. Saute 45 seconds to 1 minute, stirring constantly, until fragrant.
- Add broth, coconut aminos, Sriracha, cooked beef and rinsed and cut Kelp Noodles. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes until noodles are softened.
- Remove from heat, add sliced scallions and toasted sesame oil. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve immediately and Enjoy!