Use your InstantPot to make this easy Poached Chicken Breast with Creamy Mushroom Sauce in under 20 minutes! Free from dairy and gluten and compatible with Whole30 or Keto, this will be a dinner that quickly gets put on repeat! Recipe developed in partnership with Pacific Foods.
Something that I have been a bit obsessed with of late is InstantPot Poached Chicken Breasts. Why? Because it’s so dang easy and so helpful to have a flavor-infused protein on hand for quick meals.
Last month I decided to poach chicken breasts in some Pacific Foods Organic Mushroom Broth along with some aromatics and I was instantly hooked on the awesome flavor of the chicken.
So much umami flavor infused with shallot, garlic and mushroomy goodness.
Then I started playing around with the leftover broth and used some to create a naturally Dairy-Free Creamy Mushroom Sauce and BOOM – this dish was born.
I am sooooo excited to share it with you. It’s easy as anything and feels fancy – but in about 20-ish minutes.
I served it with my Creamy Mashed Cauliflower with Ghee and some simple oven-roasted asparagus (10 minutes on 400F tossed in a bit of EVOO, salt and pepper).
The possibilities here are seriously endless!
HOW TO POACH CHICKEN IN THE INSTANT POT:
- Cover two large (1-lb to 1.25-lb) boneless, skinless chicken breasts with 4 cups of broth or stock.
- Add spices and aromatics as desired.
- Set to “0 Minutes” high pressure and allow for 10-minute natural pressure release.
- Manually release remaining pressure, immediately remove chicken, allow to rest for 2 to 4 minutes and test temperature. The desired temperature should be 165F.
CAN YOU COOK FROZEN CHICKEN IN THE INSTANT POT?
Yes! For the poaching technique listed above, you will need to add 3 to 4 minutes of high-pressure cook time and allow for a 15-minute natural pressure release followed by manually release, rest and temperature test.
WHAT CAN YOU USE THE LEFTOVER BROTH FOR?
Do not WASTE that precious broth. The flavor is incredible!! Some ways to use it up:
- as cooking liquid for any savory grain (rice, millet, etc.)
- as cooking broth for vegetables or other proteins
- as a soup base (either a large single serving or two small servings)
- as more poaching liquid
- as a flavor-infused sipping broth
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Use your InstantPot to make this easy Poached Chicken Breast with Creamy Mushroom Sauce in under 20 minutes! Free from dairy and gluten and compatible with Whole30 or Keto, this will be a dinner that quickly gets put on repeat!
- 2 T Ghee divided
- 1 large shallot roughly chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms wiped clean, stems trimmed and sliced into 1/2" thick pieces, divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1.15 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups Pacific Foods Organic Mushroom Broth
- 4 ounces shitake mushrooms wiped clean, stems trimmed and cut into 1/2" thick pieces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
- 1 small organic lemon zested
Peel shallot and garlic and roughly chop.
Clean mushrooms, trim stems and cut into 1/2" thick pieces. Divide the white mushrooms into two even piles, one with the shallot and garlic and one with the shitake mushrooms.
Finely chop parsley for garnish, set aside.
Clean lemon and zest half, set aside.
Turn InstantPot to "Saute". Once hot, add 1 T of the Ghee and roughly chopped shallot, garlic, half of the white mushrooms as well as 1 tsp of kosher salt and 1/2 tsp of freshly ground black pepper.
Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add chicken breasts and 4 cups of Pacific Foods Organic Mushroom Broth.
Cover, set to "sealed" and "0 minutes" high-pressure cook time. Allow for a 10-minute natural pressure release and then immediately release remaining pressure.
Remove chicken to a cutting board to cool for 2 to 3 minutes. Test internal temperature (the desired temp is 165F).
Slice chicken on the bias and divide into four portions.
Strain poaching liquid through a fine mesh strainer into a heat-safe bowl or another vessel, making sure to capture all of the cooked mushrooms, garlic, and shallots.
Transfer the strained vegetables along with 1 cup of the poaching liquid and a pinch of kosher salt to a high-speed blender or food processor and puree until completely smooth.
*Reserve remaining infused broth for another purpose. See notes above in post for ideas*
Turn InstantPot back to saute and add remaining 1T of Ghee. Once melted, add remaining sliced white mushrooms and sliced shitake mushrooms along with a pinch of kosher salt.
Saute for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add pureed mushroom sauce and cook for 1 minute until bubbling.
Divide sliced chicken up onto 4 plates. Top with 1/4 of the mushroom sauce, finely chopped parsley and a pinch of lemon zest. Enjoy!
INSTANT POT SIZE: I used a 6-Quart for this recipe.
TIPS, TRICKS, AND NOTES:
- You can substitute EVOO for the Ghee. Or, regular Butter if dairy isn't an issue.
DISCLOSURE: This post is part of a series of posts sponsored by Pacific Foods. Pacific Foods has compensated me for my time to develop this recipe as their Brand Ambassador for Broths. Thank you for supporting the brands that make EverydayMaven possible. All opinions are my own.