Summer is here (it feels so good to say that!) and in my house that means one thing — Basil Pesto.
You might remember we talked about it last year at the end of the summer when I posted my Lightened Up Basil Pesto. I grew basil plants all summer just to make homemade pesto for my husband’s birthday dinner.
This year I am being a bit more realistic about what I am capable of growing in my Western-facing-yet-tree-covered house so I am stocking up on basil at farmers markets and supermarkets. It’s not such a bad thing because they all have plenty of it.
Since our eating has changed so much in the past year and my standby pesto is loaded with yummy Parmesan cheese, I decided to create a Paleo Pesto Recipe based on my traditional Basil Pesto.
The secret ingredient here is 1 Tablespoon of nutritional yeast. Just enough to add that umami flavor but not enough to overwhelm the basil, garlic, pine nuts or oil.
This Paleo Pesto freezes great so feel free to double or even triple the batch. You will be seeing many uses for it on here soon 🙂
- Make sure you use the freshest garlic possible. If you cut into the garlic cloves and see a vein of green, the garlic may be bitter in your pesto.
- I usually store homemade pesto in small mason jars. Think of this like Guacamole – the less air, the better. Fill the jar or container to the very top, immediately cover and refrigerate or freeze for later. When you use some, use a piece of wax paper to press down on the top and limit air exposure.
- Toast the pine nuts by heating a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the pine nuts in one even layer and cook 4 to 5 minutes, turning and tossing frequently.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Paleo Pesto Recipe. Vegan, Paleo and Naturally Gluten Free, this delicious Pesto freezes well and can be made in minutes!
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup raw pine nuts toasted
- 2 small or 1 large clove of garlic
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Combine all ingredients except olive oil in the bowl of a food processor or blender.
Process until smooth and slowly add in olive oil.
Transfer finished pesto to storage jars or serve and Enjoy!