Gluten and Dairy Free Pesto Pasta Salad with Shrimp, Grape Tomatoes, Baby Spinach, Red Onion and Toasted Pine Nuts. A quick and delicious summer meal that is under 30 minutes!
We are finally getting settled in the new house after what seems like the longest move ever. We are far from completely unpacked but we are getting there – one room at a time.
One of the best parts of this new house is all of the different outdoor spaces. If you follow me on social media, then you already know because you have gotten a bunch of tours – if not, well get on it and add me!
Today I want to share a little before and after of our upper deck. There is a small elevated deck off of our dining room and kitchen that was screaming to become an outdoor eating area. Here is a “Before” photo.
Last weekend, we ventured to our local Fred Meyer store and scored some beautiful new outdoor dining furniture for this deck. We got a 4-person table with tile top, some super comfy cushioned chairs and a matching umbrella with stand. This area is already my favorite place to sit and drink coffee in the morning. There are tons of birds and it is very relaxing and peaceful.
When we brought home the outdoor furniture and my husband took on the big job of assembling all of it (wait until you see next week’s post with the lower deck), I promised him something with pesto and pasta (his favorites!) as our first meal to eat at our new outdoor dining space.
This simple Gluten Free and Dairy Free Pesto Pasta Salad is loaded with fresh baby spinach, local grape tomatoes, sliced red onion, shrimp and topped with just a touch of toasted pine nuts.
The whole thing (including making my homemade Paleo Pesto) can be completed in under 30 minutes and it’s best when served chilled meaning this is a make-ahead meal.
- If you eat dairy, save some time and just pick up your favorite already prepared pesto.
- Same with the pasta, you do not have to use gluten free but if you do, my favorite is Jovial.
Alyssa Brantley | EverydayMaven
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 (12-ounce box) gluten free Farfalle pasta
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound large shrimp, deveined and shells removed
- 4 ounces baby spinach
- 3/4 cup Paleo Pesto
- 8 ounces grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 T toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Begin by placing a large pot of salted water up to boil.
- Prepare pesto according to instructions.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil and then shrimp along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side until pink and cooked through. Drain if necessary, remove shrimp and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Add raw baby spinach to mixing bowl.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain well and add hot pasta to mixing bowl on top of baby spinach. Add pesto and toss until pasta and shrimp are well coated and spinach begins to soften.
- Finally, add halved tomatoes and sliced onion, toss to coat.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve (at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours).
- When ready to serve, top with toasted pine nuts and Enjoy!