One Pot Cheesy Quinoa with Veggies. This Vegetarian meal is loaded with 3 types of veggies and protein packed Quinoa then topped off with melted cheese! Made in partnership with Pacific Foods.
I’m starting to think that quinoa is one of those polarizing ingredients like cilantro, nutritional yeast and runny eggs. It seems like you either have to love it or hate it. No in-between. Well, this recipe is for all of you quinoa lovers.
Friends of ours recently had a baby and when I asked them if they had any dietary restrictions or preferences, they replied that they were vegetarian, happily ate all the cheese and have an affinity for anything with quinoa.
I immediately thought of doing a casserole or one-pot meal that could make a large number of portions, be easily reheated (over and over again) and do well in the freezer.
Obviously it needed to be vegetarian and preferably have quinoa and cheese. After trying a number of dishes, I landed on this One Pot Cheesy Quinoa with Veggies.
It’s loaded with three kinds of green veggies — baby spinach, broccoli florets and frozen peas — and spiced with dried herbs, some sweet onion, a bit of the new Pacific Foods Diced Tomatoes and the base is Pacific Foods Organic Vegetable Broth Low Sodium.
The best part is that this is truly a one-pot meal, you just need to use an oven safe pot to melt the cheese! You do not need to cook the quinoa or veggies separately and the whole thing comes together in a little over 1/2 an hour.
We delivered this with a hefty garden salad, some homemade dressing and a loaf of freshly baked bread (not made by me). From what I hear, it was a major hit and they still have a couple of portions in the freezer! I can’t wait to hear what you quinoa lovers think of this!!
Alyssa | EverydayMaven
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 T kosher salt
- 20 to 25 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 ounces broccoli florets, chopped
- 2 ounces baby spinach, chopped
- 2 ounces frozen peas
- 1 cup Pacific Foods Organic Diced Tomatoes
- 4 cups Pacific Foods Organic Vegetable Broth Low Sodium
- 2 cups uncooked rinsed quinoa
- 12 ounces shredded cheese (I used a blend of Monterey Jack and Cheddar)
- In a mesh strainer, rinse quinoa well with cold water and allow to drain while you prep vegetables.
- Peel and dice onion.
- Chop broccoli florets into bite sized pieces. Try to make them as even as you can.
- Finally, chop the spinach and then measure the spices into a small dish.
- Set an oven safe pot over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil and diced onion along with spices. Saute for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chopped broccoli, spinach and peas along with diced tomatoes and broth. Raise heat to bring to a boil.
- As soon as liquid is boiling, immediately add rinsed and drained quinoa. Cover with lid and lower light to simmer. Simmer covered for 15 minutes. Take a minute to preheat the oven to 400F.
- Remove lid and continue to simmer uncovered for an addtional 3 to 5 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked through. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Stir a little over half of the shredded cheese into the quinoa and stir to combine.
- Use the remaining shredded cheese to top the casserole and place in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes (uncovered) until cheese is melted and beginning to bubble.
- Serve hot or allow to cool completely before freezing indiviudal portions. Enjoy!
DISCLOSURE: This post is part of a series of posts sponsored by Pacific Foods. Pacific Foods has compensated me for my time to develop this recipe as their 2017 Brand Ambassador for Broths. Thank you for supporting the brands that make EverydayMaven possible. All opinions are my own.