Parsnips are underrated and a really useful fall and winter vegetable. One of my family’s favorite ways to eat them is “french fried”, doused with Old Bay Seasoning aka Old Bay Parsnip Fries!
Plus, these Old Bay Fries are Gluten Free, Vegan, Paleo, Low-Carb and Whole30 Friendly!
The first time I made these for my son and husband they disappeared so quickly, I barely even got to eat any. My husband, who is somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to all things burgers and fries, declared these the best non-potato fries he has ever had and promptly requested another batch ASAP.
I originally posted this recipe in last year’s e-Book “Think Vegetables First” but have been making them so often since parsnips appeared back in our area stores that I wanted to share it with you all.
P.S. Make more than you think you need because these go fast!
- I have used avocado oil, ghee and coconut oil and I prefer a more mild oil like avocado for this. If you have questions about which oils burn at what temperature, here is a great chart from Spectrum Organics!
- Watch these closely the first time you make them as you do not want them to burn – burnt Parsnips are gross.
- No in-process photos for this one – I took some the other day and they got erased off my camera by a certain 3.5 year old who is obsessed with taking pictures (and erasing them!). I’ll edit and update this post with some next time I make them. (UPDATED TO ADD IN-PROCESS PHOTOS 11.2.2013)
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Old Bay Fries. Old Bay Parsnip Fries. Paleo Parsnip Fries with Old Bay Seasoning.
- 2 pounds parsnips peeled and cut into evenly sized french fry sticks
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil (coconut oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil)
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line two baking sheets with tinfoil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Trim ends of parsnips, peel and cut into evenly sized french fry pieces.
Place in a bowl and toss with oil until well coated. Toss with Old Bay and salt until evenly distributed.
- Spread fries out on baking sheets in one layer.
- Cook for 15 minutes, toss and rotate baking sheets and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until edges are starting to brown (you don’t want these to burn).
- Serve hot and watch disappear!