You probably already know this but my older son is a bit obsessed with Pepperoni Pizza. Not uncommon for kids (and adults!) and for good reason.
The thing is he eats Gluten Free and while I definitely stock the freezer with our fair share of Gluten Free pizza’s, I try to limit them to about once a week since the ingredients tend to be on the “not so real food side” if you know what I’m sayin’.
I have pretty much cornered the market on turning anything into a “Pepperoni Pizza” but this dish stands out head and shoulders above the rest.
While I originally created it for my son, it is my husband who regularly requests it.
When Horizon Organic contacted me and asked me if I wanted to partner with them to share a #SmartMeal I make for my family featuring one of their products, I knew right away I would share these Pepperoni Pizza Spaghetti Squash Boats.
While you can absolutely substitute another squash like Delicata, I favor Spaghetti Squash for this because you can mix the “spaghetti” with the pizza sauce before you add the cheese and pepperoni which adds so much flavor and keeps the squash from getting dry!
It’s simple — you bake (in advance is fine!) or microwave the squash, mix the “spaghetti” with pizza sauce, top with shredded mozzarella and pepperoni and broil until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
Serve with a quick green salad and make everyone happy!
7 Points Plus Per Serving -- Serves 2 -- Individual Serving Size is 1/2 Squash with toppings
60 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise, seeds removed and roasted (or cooked in the microwave)
- 1 cup your favorite brand pizza sauce
- 1 cup Horizon Organic Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 12 to 15 pieces small nitrite-free pepperoni rounds
- grated Parmesan or Locatelli for serving (optional)
- crushed red pepper flakes for serving (optional)
- Spaghetti Squash Cooking Methods: my favorite way to cook spaghetti squash is to roast it. I have detailed instructions in this Spaghetti Squash with White Bean + Mushroom Ragout post . I suggest roasting the squash a day or two before you make this and just keeping it in the fridge. If you are pressed for time, another method is microwaving, Here is a tutorial with instructions for how to do that
- Move oven rack to high position (if Broiler is at the top). Preheat oven to Broil. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and set each cooked squash half (cut side up) on baking sheet. Use a fork to gently scrape the squash into spaghetti-like strands.
- Use 1/2 cup pizza sauce per squash half (you may need more if your squash are on the large side) and mix in until most of the spaghetti strands are coated. Sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella per squash half (again, you may need more based on squash size) and top with pepperoni rounds.
- Place baking sheet into broiler and broil 3 to 6 minutes until cheese is melted and starting to brown. Broil time will be affected by the type of broiler you have (low or high) so watch it carefully the first time so they don't burn.
- Remove, allow to cool for 5 minutes, serve with grated Parmesan and crushed red pepper flakes on the side and Enjoy!