This Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup with Butternut Squash is spiced with curry, cardamom and star anise. It’s vegetarian and can be vegan if you leave off the dollop of yogurt!
Can you believe it snowed here earlier this week? Like for real snowed, school closed for two days, city shut down because there are too many hills here to have a little bit of snow and ice.
Obviously, I made soup. As if I needed to be snowed in to have an excuse to make soup though. You know me and soup – I’ll make soup on a sunny 80 degree day. This Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup with Butternut Squash was born of what I had in my fridge and pantry earlier this week when we were trapped in the house.
This Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup with Butternut Squash was born of what I had in my fridge and pantry earlier this week when we were trapped in the house. It turned out so good, I remade it a few times to stock the freezer, test the recipe and share it with you.
It’s very simple, naturally vegetarian and easily vegan if you leave off the yogurt garnish. The spices and hot sauce balance out the sweetness of the butternut squash and the red lentils make it creamy and comforting. I think you are going to love it!
MORE BUTTERNUT SQUASH RECIPES:
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can make this on the stovetop. The squash will need 30 to 45 minutes at a low simmer to soften.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
This Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup with Butternut Squash is spiced with curry, cardamom and star anise. It's vegetarian and can be vegan if you leave off the dollop of yogurt!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt see NOTES
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 star anise
- 3 whole cardamom pods cracked
- 1 pound cubed butternut squash
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoons Frank's Red Hot Original hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils rinsed
- fresh parsley chopped for topping
- Greek yogurt optional for topping
- Turn on Instant Pot and use "Saute" feature to heat the insert. Once hot, add olive oil and diced onion. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions begin to soften and are aromatic.
- Add curry powder, salt, white pepper, star anise and cardamom pods. Stir to coat onions, cook for 30 to 45 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add cubed butternut squash, stir to coat and add broth, tomato sauce and hot sauce.
- Add rinsed red lentils. Place lid on and make sure vent is set to "sealed".
- Set to manual high pressure for 12 minutes.
- I highly suggest using a natural pressure release. If you do not want to wait, allow it to rest for at least 10 to 15 minutes and then slowly begin manually releasing pressure.
- Serve topped with chopped parsley and Greek yogurt and Enjoy!