My husband and son are major pancake lovers. MAJOR. They could happily eat some type of pancakes with bacon or sausage and fruit every day for breakfast and never get bored. Me, on the other hand, I get bored with food and like to continually switch things up.
Even though I do the lion’s share of the cooking in our household, my husband is our pancake guy. His two favorite Paleo Pancake recipes to make are Blue Kale Road’s Banana Nut Pancakes with Blueberry Compote and Nom Nom Paleo’s Cinnamon and Coconut Pancakes.
He has been making one or the other almost every weekend for a while and usually makes at least one extra batch for the freezer so our son can have some quick pancakes during the work week.
Last week, my little guy wanted pancakes at pretty much every meal and quickly consumed the freezer stash. After a busy day at preschool, he came home begging for more pancakes. I decided to use Blue Kale Road’s recipe as a starting point and created these Cashew Pancakes.
They are light, fluffy and tender and make a perfect base for some fresh, ripe fruit. The cashew flour is a nice change from almond flour (which you could easily substitute) and best of all, they don’t use any banana (we always seem to be short on ripe bananas!).
- I used Cashew Meal from Trader Joe’s. It is $4.99 / lb. If you don’t live near a Trader Joe’s, Nuts.com carries Cashew Flour and you can always make it yourself with a food processor or high-speed blender. Here is a tutorial. OR substitute any other nut flour you have on hand!
- If you like pancakes and have room in your house for another kitchen appliance, I highly recommend an electric griddle.
- If you are making these in a frying pan, melt some coconut oil or butter in the pan before cooking each batch so they don’t stick.
7 Points Plus Each Based on 6 Pancakes (approx 1/4 cup batter each) OR 3 Points Plus Each Based on 12 Pancakes (approx 1/8 cup batter each)
5 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
13 minTotal Time
- 1 1/4 cups cashew meal / flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk (from can)
- 1 Tablespoon virgin coconut oil (melted)
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- If using an electric griddle, preheat to 325F. Combine cashew meal, baking powder, cinnamon and sea salt in a mixing bowl. Use a whisk or fork to mix well until all clumps are gone. In another bowl, combine eggs, coconut milk, melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Once electric griddle (or frying pan over medium heat with some coconut oil) is hot, use 1/4 cup scoop to measure pancake batter. If you want to make smaller pancakes, use 1/8 cup scoop (or 2 Tablespoons of batter).
- Cook pancakes 3 to 4 minutes and flip when edges start to brown and you see bubbles. Cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes and serve hot with butter and maple syrup!