Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables; I eat it year-round and almost never get sick of it. But when it comes to cold-weather broccoli dishes, I like them spicy and robust.
This Spicy Curried Broccoli with toasted coconut is a family favorite and just that. It is so easy to make, packs a punch of flavor, is Vegan, Paleo and compliant for the Whole30. This serves up a side dish out of the norm and is fantastic reheated.
If you happen to have some frozen (already cleaned) shrimp on hand, toss them in at the same time as the broccoli and you have a complete meal in a bowl!
- If you want to make this Mild, I suggest using a Mild curry powder or only using ½ the amount of curry powder and adding more as needed.
2 Points Plus Per Serving -- Serves 4
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or Ghee
- 2” piece fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1/2 small yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- Trim broccoli into evenly sized florets.
- Peel ginger and mince.
- Halve onion and thinly slice.
- Measure all spices, coconut flakes and oil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot add coconut flakes. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes, until edges begin to brown and coconut is fragrant. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Place skillet back on burner and add cooking oil. Once hot, add minced ginger, sliced onion, cumin seeds, curry powder and salt. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets and 2 tablespoons of water to pan. Stir to coat, cover, raise heat to medium high and cook 3 to 4 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a serving dish and top with toasted coconut flakes. Serve hot and Enjoy!