While it is true that 90% of the summer squash we are growing are becoming noodles, the rest are gracing our plates in side dishes like this.
I’m making lots of simple and flavorful preparations that don’t take very long to either prep or cook and highlights the ingredients.
This dish is a direct inspiration from our summer garden as we are growing all of the main ingredients (squash, tomatoes and basil). It’s something I have taken to making on days where my harvest of these ingredients is especially abundant and I have a feeling many of you out there who have gardens are in the same predicament.
It’s Vegan, naturally Gluten Free and loaded with flavor. While I think this is best served fresh, it still makes a nice side dish reheated and if you have some excellent quality aged balsamic vinegar on hand, a thin drizzle right before serving is awesome!
MORE SUMMER SQUASH RECIPES:
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Summer Squash and Tomatoes with Basil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds summer squash quartered and cut into 1/4" thick pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 10 to 12 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound ripe tomatoes cut into bite sized pieces
- handful fresh basil leaves cut into chiffonade
Clean squash, quarter and slice into 1/4" thick pieces.
Cut tomatoes into bite sized pieces, removing any hard white cores. You do not have to remove the seeds unless you are using large beefsteak type tomatoes.
- To chiffonade the basil leaves, lay the leaves flat in a pile, roll them from top to bottom and then thinly slice across the "roll". Here is a great tutorial.
Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Once hot add oil, squash and 1/2 teaspoon of the kosher salt along with freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes until squash are beginning to look translucent and fork tender.
Add tomatoes, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, stir in basil, adjust salt and pepper to taste, serve immediately and Enjoy!