This delicious and easy to make Paleo Chocolate Mug Cake satisfies your sweet tooth and can be made in under 5 minutes! A single serving dessert recipe you will make over and over again!
ORIGINALLY POSTED: 9/20/2013 | UPDATED: 2/17/2018
Are you making “mug cakes” yet? I first saw this idea on Pinterest (of course right?) a couple of years ago and have tried my hand at it a bunch of times. Most of the recipes I’ve seen are based on regular flour so I set out to make a couple grain-free versions and today am going to share my Paleo Chocolate Mug Cake with you.
It is as easy as mixing up some ingredients and tossing in the microwave for 3 minutes. That’s all there is to it! Seriously. Unfortunately, if you don’t have a microwave, you are probably out of luck on this one. You could bake the ingredients as a single serving muffin but it kind of takes away from the whole “Made in 3 Minutes” promise.
SEE HOW EASY THIS IS:
Even though this is beyond easy, I added a bunch of notes below to help you perfect this little mug cake for your taste and microwave power! Enjoy 🙂
- Microwave ovens vary and can significantly impact the cooking time. For reference, ours is 1000 Watts and 2 min 30 sec is perfect. Start slow and keep adding time to figure out the perfect formula for your microwave.
- Believe it or not, the type of mug you use can also impact the cooking time as material and thickness impact the transfer of heat. So once you find a perfect mug / cooking time formula, stick with it so you can ensure consistent results!
- You can substitute raw cacao powder for the unsweetened cocoa powder but you may need to increase the maple syrup a bit (or add a bit of liquid stevia) to counterbalance the bitterness.
- Use whatever kind of non-dairy milk you have in the house. I have made this with coconut milk, almond milk and hemp milk and didn’t notice any difference
- I like to mix the batter in a larger bowl and then pour into the mug as cocoa powder tends to be messy but you don’t have to. Yes, this does add an extra (and probably unnecessary) step but I just toss the bowl into the dishwasher.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
- 3 Tablespoons blanched almond flour
- 2 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon pure Maple Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Ghee or coconut oil
- pinch sea salt
- 1 large egg
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (see NOTES above). Use a fork or whisk to beat ingredients together until well mixed and there are not clumps. Think of this as beating eggs - you want to aerate the eggs a bit to add some lightness.
Pour into a mug (alternately, just mix the ingredients in the mug) and microwave for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes (depending on microwave wattage).
Let cool for 1 to 2 minutes and Enjoy!