Leftover Ham, Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are naturally gluten and grain free. This stuffed sweet potato is an easy and quick dinner that the whole family will love and a perfect way to use up your leftover ham!
One of the best parts about serving a whole baked Ham at your holiday table is the guarantee that you will most definitely have leftovers!
Since I know I am for sure making my Mom’s famous leftover turkey barley soup with the turkey carcass, I thought why not get creative with the ham instead of the usual soup or egg dish?
The other day, we baked way too many sweet potatoes (cook once, eat twice right!?). I opened the fridge to see what I could throw together for dinner and it hit me – stuffed sweet potatoes with the leftover ham, some greens and of course, melted cheese to bring it all together!
I tested this recipe with and without the spinach and I am happy to report that while it works both ways, it’s way better WITH the spinach, the kids think it’s herbs and you get a boost of baby greens.
Need another idea to use up Leftover Ham? Try these Savory Waffles with Leftover Ham and Cheddar.
HOW TO MAKE A STUFFED SWEET POTATO:
- Bake the sweet potatoes. This can be done in advance (up to a couple of days) or right before you want to prepare the dish. If you have an electric pressure cooker, you can make Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes to save time.
- Prepare your filling. This filling uses leftover (already cooked) ham, baby spinach and melted cheese so it comes together very quickly once the potatoes are cooked!
- Transfer the stuffed sweet potatoes to the oven. Bake until cheese is melted and just golden.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
These Leftover Ham, Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are naturally gluten and grain free!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces baby spinach chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 pound leftover ham cut into 1/4" cubes
- 8 ounces shredded cheese blend (mozzarella, Monterrey jack, cheddar) divided
Begin by preheating the oven to 350F. Clean potatoes and poke each several times with a fork.
Place potatoes on a lined baking sheet and bake on center rack for 45 to 50 minutes until tender (they don't have to be 100% cooked at this point as you will continue baking them later but tender enough to cut and scoop out most of the insides).
THIS CAN BE DONE IN ADVANCE (up to 3 days).
While potatoes are cooking, cut ham into 1/4" cubes.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil and then chopped spinach.
Add salt, pepper and garlic powder and saute spinach 3 to 4 minutes, until wilted. Drain excess liquid and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add chopped ham and 4 ounces of the shredded cheese (save the other 4 ounces for the topping!). Set aside until potatoes are cooked and ready to be scooped out.
Remove potatoes from oven (leave oven on) and use a paring knife to cut an oval on the top about 3/4 of the way deep into the potato, essentially making a "potato boat" or shell to be stuffed.
Transfer the cooked potato to the bowl with the ham, cheese and cooked spinach.
Mix filling well and stuff 1/4 of filling into each potato "shell", packing tightly.
Top each stuffed potato with 1 ounce of the leftover shredded cheese mixture and place back into the oven for 20 minutes or until filling is heated through and cheese is melted. If desired, broil for the last 2 to 3 minutes to brown cheese. Remove, allow to cool for 3 to 4 minutes, serve and Enjoy!
- You can prepare the potatoes ahead of time.
- You can also freeze these (once stuffed) prior to baking and bake from frozen for 60 to 75 minutes at 350.
UPDATE NOTES: Please note that this recipe was originally published in November 2017, but was updated in March 2019 with nutritional information, recipe tips, and more helpful information.