I’ve been on a mission to get my son to eat some kind of cooked vegetables. He used to eat a ton of cooked vegetables but for the last couple of months, he only wants raw vegetables and salad. Now, I understand that this isn’t exactly horrible (he still eats a lot of vegetables!), but it isn’t really working for me. I hate having to make something special or separate for him and it’s much easier to get more healthy fats into him on cooked vegetables than raw.
Since all kids love to dip, I thought I would create a side dish he might be into. One of our rules is that you don’t have to eat anything you don’t like, but you have to try everything (at least once but more like 10x). I am happy to report that he did indeed taste the cauliflower and ate a couple of pieces (progress!).
This simple Italian Roasted Cauliflower is lightly seasoned and roasted at a high temperature to ensure some crispy edges and nice caramelized cauliflower taste. If you eat cheese, a sprinkle of grated Parmesan or even a bit of melted mozzarella or provolone would be fabulous. Serve alongside some warmed marinara for dipping and watch disappear!
- If you really want to save time, you can buy cauliflower that is already cleaned and cut into florets.
- Use any marinara, pasta or pizza sauce you like. You only need a cup so if you are buying some just for this recipe, pizza sauce is a good choice since they tend to come in smaller jars or cans. I like San Marzano or Eden Organic brands.
- This dish is best served hot out of the oven. You can reheat but note that the cauliflower will not stay crisp.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cleaned and cut into florets
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup marinara sauce (see NOTES)
- For instructions on how to easily break down the cauliflower into florets, click here.
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and set aside. Grab a gallon size ziploc type bag and place cauliflower florets into it, add olive oil, seal and gently shake until well coated.
- Add in Italian seasoning, salt, garlic powder and crushed red pepper flakes. Seal and gently shake until evenly coated. Open bag and pour cauliflower onto lined baking sheet. Shake tray to spread out.
- Roast for 15 minutes. Remove and turn cauliflower florets, roast for an additional 15 minutes until you see some crispy edges and browning.
- While cauliflower is roasting, heat marinara sauce. Serve roasted cauliflower florets with marinara for dipping and Enjoy!