Eggplant has been on my mind lately. I’ve been throwing eggplants into my shopping cart like they are giving them away and then making a lot of this, and this and of course, this Eggplant Parmesan Salad. This satisfying and interesting salad is a perfect lunch (pack dressing on the side) or light dinner.
There are a lot of textures going on and they all work together to create a different and unique but super quick meal. I mean under 10 minutes quick – pretty amazing!
I stumbled upon this recipe last year and was instantly intrigued and excited. I love Eggplant Parmesan but hate how many Points Plus the breaded and fried Eggplant cutlets are. So I made it and loved it.
Then I couldn’t leave well enough alone and of course, had to experiment with breading the eggplant and baking it, grilling it and pan-searing it as well as broiling. The breaded and baked eggplant was fantastic but it added a lot more work and Points Plus and turned what is now a 10 minute dinner into a 30 minute dinner. Not really worth it. The pan-searing lacked the crispy edges without a lot of added oil. After all is said and done, I loved the grilled and broiled eggplant equally and the best. Whichever is easier for you to do!
- Be sure to use an olive oil mister like this or this to lightly spray the eggplant before broiling. Alternately, you could measure a couple of teaspoons of olive oil and brush it on with a pastry brush, just be sure to account for the additional Points Plus values. I do not suggest using non-stick cooking spray because the eggplant will not get crisp!
7 Points Plus Per Serving - Recipe Serves 4
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 2 to 3 heads Romaine, cleaned and cut or torn into bite sized pieces
- 1.5 cups grape (or cherry) tomatoes
- handful (about 1 cup) fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 container (24 pieces) mini mozzarella balls (also called Ciliegine)
- 1 large eggplant, cut into quarters and sliced into 1/2" pieces
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- italian seasoning
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 servings natural croutons
- olive oil mister
- Place oven rack in top position approximately 6" away from heat source and set oven to Broil. Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place eggplant in one layer. Lightly spray eggplant with oil mister or use a brush to brush on olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place into oven and set timer for 5 minutes.
- Turn eggplant, repeat oil, salt and pepper on other side and broil for an additional 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine lettuce, tomatoes, basil, parmesan cheese, a sprinkle of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, olive oil and vinegar. Toss to combine and place evenly onto 4 plates (or bowls).
- Divide up the mozzarella balls, croutons and broiled eggplant. Top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately and Enjoy!
Adapted From: A Couple Cooks Eggplant Parmesan Salad