Buffalo Shrimp reminds me of my best girlfriends and of our old neighborhood hang out in Old City Philadelphia — Race Street Cafe. We have shared many plates of their amazing Buffalo Shrimp over cocktails, wine, laughs, cries, proposals, marriages and more. One of the ways I combat my homesickness is to make some Buffalo Shrimp lettuce wraps, pour a big ‘ol glass of wine and call one of my girlfriends. Not quite the same as walking a few blocks to meet up at Race Street but it’ll do for now.
These wraps are quick and easy AND satisfy all the cravings for Buffalo Shrimp while still light enough to fit into Weight Watchers. They are a bit messy, but I like them like that. The sauce is so good, you may consider pouring it into a shot glass and downing it. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!
- Make sure to use Frank’s Original Red Hot Sauce NOT the Buffalo Sauce or Wing Sauce (they have a bunch of nasty additives in them). If you can’t find it in your grocery store, you can use Crystal Hot Sauce but add a pinch of garlic powder to it. DO NOT use Tabasco. It is a totally different flavor and not meant for Wing Sauce.
- I like a very flavorful Blue Cheese that is just crumbled on each wrap. If that flavor is too intense for you, I suggest buying a really high quality, chunky blue cheese dressing from the refrigerated section of Whole Foods or your natural grocery store. Make sure to calculate the Points Plus.
- I did not include the blue cheese in my Points Plus calculation as everyone adds a different amount and you may use a Blue Cheese dressing. As an FYI, 1 tablespoon of Blue Cheese is 1 Points Plus.
- To find out more about different types of lettuces that I like to use in lettuce wraps, check out both my Beef Taco Lettuce Wraps and Curried Chicken and Chickpea Lettuce Wraps
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- 1 pound raw large Shrimp, cleaned, shelled, and deveined
- 3 Tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread or Organic Butter
- ¼ cup Franks Original Red Hot Sauce
- 1 to 2 celery ribs, sliced into ¼" pieces
- ½ cup crumbled Blue Cheese
- head of lettuce for serving (Boston Bibb, Romaine Leaves, Iceberg)
- PREP: If you haven't already done so, clean, peel, and devein the shrimp (make sure to remove the tails). Prepare the lettuce leaves for serving. Smash the garlic with the back of your knife and finely chop. Clean and thinly slice the celery.
- COOK: Heat the Earth Balance in a non stick skillet over medium heat. After about 30 seconds, add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour the hot sauce into the pan. . Let cook for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken. Add in raw shrimp and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until shrimp are cooked through and well coated with sauce.
- Serve with lettuce leaves, chopped celery, and blue cheese crumbles. Enjoy!