These are the types of dinners I love during the week: easy to make, minimal prep work, packs a punch of flavor and most importantly, a dish that everyone loves!
We eat a lot of variations of tacos around here.
We topped these Weeknight Black Bean Tacos with Guac, Pico, cilantro leaves, chopped sweet onion and a bit of hot sauce. I usually make homemade Guacamole and Pico de Gallo the night before to save even more time but you can just buy them both and keep it moving.
Best of all, this makes 6 servings (12 tacos!) so if you have a small family like me, you will have leftovers!
- Make your own Taco Seasoning! It’s easy and so much more cost effective, especially if you buy the spices you need in the bulk section. Alternately, you can go for a natural Taco Seasoning that is free of additives like Simply Organic (Frontier). Just a word of caution though – I based my recipe on my homemade Taco Seasoning mix so if you are using a pre-made mix, please add it slowly and adjust as needed. Store bought spice blends tend to be much heavier in salt.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Vegan Black Bean Tacos. Easy Weeknight Vegan Black Bean Tacos.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups cooked black beans or 2 15-ounce cans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 5 to 6 cilantro stems and leaves
- 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes drained
- 2.5 tablespoons taco seasoning see Note
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to taste
- 1/2 lime squeezed
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce optional
- 12 corn tortillas plus toppings
- Strain tomatoes. If using canned beans, drain and rinse.
- Finely chop garlic and onion (use food processor to save time!).
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Once hot, add oil. Add onion and garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes until softened.
- Add taco seasoning, cook 20 to 30 seconds, stirring.
- Toss in beans, tomatoes and cilantro. Cook covered over a medium light 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use a fork or potato masher to smash about half of the beans, taste and add salt if needed. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, over medium low light 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add hot sauce and lime juice, stir, let cool for 5 to 10 minutes, serve with corn tortillas and toppings of choice - Enjoy!