Toasted Coconut Mixed Nuts. A handy, vegan, low carb and sugar free on-the-go snack!
When I weaned from pumping last month, I had really mixed feelings. Mostly happy, relieved and free feelings but then of course, some guilt and trepidation. I spent the entire time I was breastfeeding in 2015 trying to lose baby weight without losing my milk supply and wound up steadily gaining weight instead.
So, one of the things I was most excited about was finally starting to lose weight without having to worry about losing my milk supply. The timing worked out to be when everyone in the world is fixated on eating healthy, losing weight and changing habits. I think this is a good thing because every where I turn, people are talking about making good choices, etc.
I decided that I was going to count my macros and lean towards a real food, low carb diet until I lose the majority of this weight. I am feeling really uncomfortable and honestly, that is the method I know of with the quickest results.
That means having a healthy but sugar free and low carb snack available to tuck into my purse, car and diaper bag.
These Toasted Coconut Mixed Nuts are the perfect answer. They taste decadent and indulgent but are really just a nutrient dense powerhouse snack.
- Here is the deal on Swerve. Before anyone freaks out, I have done a lot of research on Swerve in the last year and while it may be controversial in the Paleo / Primal community, I think it is acceptable to use as an occasional sweetener. Yes, it is created in a lab but so is Stevia powder and at least both are made using real ingredients. Neither are perfect in my opinion but if you want to enjoy something sweet and are watching your carbs or macros, these are great options. Do your research and decide what is best for you!
- You can absolutely substitute pure maple syrup (I would use 1/2 cup and taste) or honey or coconut palm sugar if you are not concerned about macros / sugar / carbs.
- Make sure to use raw nuts.
12 Smart Points Per Serving -- Individual Serving Size is 1/4 Cup -- Recipe Makes 30 Servings OR 6 Smart Points Per Serving for 1/8 Cup / 60 Servings
5 minPrep Time
22 minCook Time
27 minTotal Time
- 1 pound raw whole almonds
- 1 pound raw whole cashews
- 1/2 pound raw pecan halves
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed meal (golden or brown)
- 2 1/2 to 3 Tablespoons Swerve or Stevia powder (see NOTES)
- 1 Tablespoon finely ground sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup organic virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup raw cacao nibs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine nuts, coconut, flax meal, Swerve or Stevia, sea salt and cinnamon in large bowl.
- Pour melted coconut oil over nut mixture and stir until nuts are well coated with coconut.
- Pour nut mixture onto 1 large baking sheet or 2 half baking sheets and spread out to one layer.
- Bake, undisturbed, for 12 minutes. Remove and toss. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until coconut is toasted and beginning to brown.
- Remove and mix in cacao nibs and vanilla. Spread back out to a single layer and allow to cool completely before eating or storing. Enjoy!