Spiralized Apple Pie Topping with Walnuts. The quick and healthy way to enjoy the flavor of apple pie without gluten, grains or extra carbs!
A couple of months ago I hosted a charity dinner party / cooking class that was conceived of last year. It was an auction item that I offered for my son’s school. The topic was “Healthy Noodle Dishes” and focused on spiralizing, basically teaching and cooking on how to use veggie and fruit noodles to lighten up and reduce the carbs in some classic dishes.
I wanted to keep dessert simple and plan something that could be made on the fly so that my guests could spiralize noodles and watch them transform into a sweet treat. This Spiralized Apple Pie Topping with Walnuts was created that night and I’ve made it many times since.
It is an excellent topping for ice cream, Greek yogurt, oatmeal and even mug cakes. The best part is that it literally takes minutes to make. From spiralizing the apples to sauteeing them, this topping is ready and on the table in about 5 minutes.
Naturally gluten free, grain free and free of added carbs, this can also be made with coconut oil if you want to avoid dairy!
- Any apples will work but firm apples spiralize better and the best apples for this dish are the type that would work for Apple Pie.
- Maple syrup can be substituted for the coconut palm sugar but you will need a bit more as it will cook off quicker.
- Virgin Organic Coconut Oil can be substituted for Pastured Butter but you will lose a little bit of the “pie” flavor and creaminess for an oilier consistency.
Alyssa Brantley | EverydayMaven
2 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
7 minTotal Time
- 4 T pastured butter, divided
- 1 1/2 T coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch finely ground sea salt
- 3 T chopped walnut halves
- 2 large firm apples, spiralized
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Wash apple and remove stem. Place apple on spiralizer (thin noodle blade) and spiralize into noodles. The seeds and core will fall out and you can easily pick them out.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat, once hot add 2 T butter, palm sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine and add walnuts.
- Saute for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly and add apples and remaining 2 T of butter.
- Saute 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until softened. Remove from heat, add vanilla, stir well, serve and Enjoy!