In our house, we celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas. It makes for one long and over-indulged holiday season if you are a kid – which is pretty awesome. For us adults, it’s a lot of work! My husband and I are still figuring out how to balance all of the different holiday traditions we cherish and want to nurture while being 3000+ miles away from 95% of our family and closest friends.
This year we were actually planning on going back to the East Coast for the holidays but Baby #2 had other plans and arranged his timing in such a way that would make that pretty much impossible.
Homemade Hanukkah Candy is one of the traditions that is a must and this year I decided to do a Hanukkah version of my Christmas Bark.
This Hanukkah Bark is loaded with crunchy bits of toasted, slivered almonds and chewy pieces of unsulphured and unsweetened dried applies then topped off with a hint of Himalayan Pink Sea Salt.
It is super easy to make and makes a perfect hostess gift or party snack. For all of you who celebrate, I hope you have a wonderful Hanukkah with family and friends. Make a batch of this candy to make it extra sweet 🙂
- I used 56% Dark Chocolate – a Trader Joe’s pound plus bar.
- If you live near a Trader Joe’s, you are in business for this bark! You can get everything there for pretty inexpensive. They even sell a Himalayan Pink Coarse Salt Grinder for a couple bucks! If you don’t live near one, I recommend getting your ingredients in the bulk section of the grocery store to save money.
- If you don’t have or can’t find Himalayan salt, any gourmet pink sea salt will be work.
- Why no sulfites? Bottom line, I don’t want anything in my fruit except fruit. That just makes sense to me!
- I used a standard size cookie sheet. If you have a side by side freezer, it may not fit so be sure to check first. If needed, use 2 smaller trays.
- If you are unsure what a Double Boiler is, read the notes section of this Brownie recipe.
4 Points Plus Per Serving -- Based on 24 Servings -- Individual Serving Size is 1 Square
- 1 pound dark chocolate (I used a Trader Joe's Pound Plus Dark which is 54%)
- 4 ounces unsalted, dry toasted slivered almonds
- 4 ounces unsulphured and unsweetened dried apple rings, cut into small pieces
- freshly ground pink sea salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut the apple rings into small pieces - I cut stacks of the apple rings into 1/8's. Measure almonds and grab salt.
- Cut or break the chocolate bar into individual squares along the seams. Place chocolate pieces into a double boiler. and stir occasionally until completely melted.
- Immediately pour onto parchment covered cookie sheet and use a spatula to evenly spread out chocolate.
- Quickly sprinkle the apple pieces and almonds onto the chocolate. Top with a sprinkle of pink salt and place in the freezer to set for 30 minutes.
- Remove and score with a sharp knife into 24 squares. Break at the scores and allow the squares to set at room temperature in a single layer. Alternately, you can store this in the fridge or freezer in a container with pieces of parchment paper between the layers of bark. Enjoy!