We are smack in the middle of an epic heat wave in Seattle. Temperatures have been soaring in the upper 80’s and low 90’s for almost two weeks now and when I say that most of my house is an inferno, I am not exaggerating.
Yes, we have window units in our bedrooms (thankfully!) but our main living floor is SO HOT. It faces West and has pretty much no shade so it’s easily been 5 to 8 degrees warmer inside of our house than it is outside.
Cooking hasn’t really been an option. We’ve been doing a lot of salads, slow cooker meals and using the stove top early in the morning (if necessary!) before it gets too hot.
I originally started making this BLT Salad with Creamy Bacon Dressing back when I was pregnant with our second son last year. I was craving a BLT sandwich something fierce and just wasn’t into eating bread or gluten free bread.
It’s ridiculously easy to make, really flavorful and as long as you make the bacon in advance when it’s still cool out, is a very heat-wave friendly meal!
- I really like Iceberg Lettuce here because the super crispy texture adds so much to this simple dish. Another option would be romaine hearts.
- You can make the dressing 3 to 4 days in advance to save time.
- To make this Whole30 compliant, be sure to use a high-quality sugar-free bacon and either make homemade mayo or use a brand that is made from Whole30 approved oils.
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise (or high quality store-bought)
- 1/4 cup bacon fat
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk (from a can)
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped bacon bits
- 1 large head of Iceberg Lettuce, cut into quarters
- 1 pound (or 4 medium) ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 pound good quality bacon, cooked (save the bacon fat for the dressing)
- 2 scallions, dark green parts only, thinly sliced
- Place all ingredients for dressing except chopped bacon bits in a food processor fitted with the chopping blade or in a blender. Process until smooth. Add bacon bits and pulse until incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble, quarter lettuce.
- Place each lettuce quarter on a plate along with tomatoes. Drizzle with 1/4 of the dressing and top with bacon and sliced scallion greens. Serve with a fork and knife and Enjoy!