Every Friday Whole Foods Market has “One Day Sales” and if the features are things we use a lot of, I try to plan in advance and stock up. This past Friday’s one day sale was Large Wild Caught Atlantic White Shrimp. I picked up about four pounds, cleaned, deveined and froze them for future yummy meals. I left one pound unfrozen and figured we could do something fun with them on Saturday.
Come Saturday afternoon and I hadn’t planned anything for the Shrimp. I needed to do something super quick that would go well with the Black Bean Chili (recipe coming soon) simmering on the stove. I was inspired by my Old Bay Chicken Nuggets and decided to make an appetizer. Oh my gosh! – not only was this delicious but literally took five minutes! My husband was so funny, he said he could definitely see how someone could “easily pop fifty into their mouth” lol.
- I think these would be wonderful added into a salad (after the dressing so they don’t get soggy), or on a sandwich (Po-Boy style), or atop a Black Bean, Corn, and Quinoa salad (recipe coming soon). Yum!
- The Old Bay has a kick to it so these are a bit spicy. The mayonnaise dip balances this out nicely.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Crispy Old Bay Shrimp
- 1 pound raw shrimp large, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup ground cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon old bay seasoning
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 1 dash organic ketchup
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 dash old bay seasoning
- 1 dash kosher salt
- Start by cleaning, peeling (completely removing shell), and deveining raw shrimp. I usually do this in in a colander in my sink. Be sure to use a small paring knife to to devein both the top and underside.
- Combine cornmeal and old bay in a bowl.
- Toss shrimp in corn meal mixture until covered
- Heat olive oil in nonstick frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add shrimp in one layer.
- Set a timer for two minutes. At two minutes, turn the shrimp and set the timer for another 2 minutes.
- Combine dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl and serve. Watch disappear!