It’s my birthday today!
This is my 3rd birthday posting to Everyday Maven. For my 2012 birthday, I shared one of my favorite sweet treats – Prosecco Soaked Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberries.
Last year, it was Blackberry Margaritas and this year, in keeping with tradition, we are having Watermelon Margaritas. You see a theme right?
Clearly, birthdays include alcohol in some form and for the last couple of years, it’s been all about the margarita and all about sharing them with my friend Pamela from Bolig Photography.
Last week, we had an impromptu family dinner at Pam’s house with our kids and husbands (and Pam’s awesome dog). We made a self-serve fajita bar with skirt steak, peppers, onions, mushrooms, a variety of fruit, a green salad and all kinds of wraps (corn, wheat and lettuce) and toppings to keep everyone happy.
As an early birthday toast, we made some watermelon margaritas and Pam took these photos in her studio. Would you believe it was grey and dark out when she took these? She has such a keen understanding of light and space, it’s inspiring.
- To easily rim your serving glasses with kosher salt, take a small plate (larger than the circumference of the serving glass) and spoon a layer of kosher salt on the plate. Grab a lime wedge and slice a 1/4″ slit in the center. Place the lime slit over the lip of the glass and run it all the way around so the rim of the glass is covered with lime juice. Remove the lime wedge and gently dip the glass into the salt. Shake off any excess salt and continue using the same lime wedge and salt for all remaining glasses.
- Some brands (this is by no means comprehensive, just what I buy) of Blanco Tequila I like are Don Julio Tequila Blanco, Cabo Wabo Tequila Blanco, Patron Silver and my personal favorite for taste and price – Espolon Blanco Tequila.
- When it comes to Orange Liquor, I usually stick with Gran Gala, Patron Citronge Liqueur or Cointreau Liqueur. While I really love the taste of Grand Marnier Liqueur, I find it too heavy for Blanco Tequila.
- All photos in this post taken by Pamela Bolig of Bolig Photography. Reprinted with Permission.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Watermelon Margaritas. Added Sugar Free. Clean Ingredients. Paleo Friendly. #cleancocktails
- 3 oz watermelon juice
- 3 oz blanco tequila see NOTES
- 1 1/2 oz orange liquor see NOTES
- Juice from two medium limes
- ice cubes for shaking and serving
- Salt or palm sugar for rim optional
- lime quarters for serving
To easily make watermelon juice, click here for my recipe for Watermelon Cooler. . Remember, you can make the watermelon juice in advance and freeze until you are ready to use. Just pull it out of the freezer and place in the fridge to defrost the day before you plan to use it.
Prepare serving glasses by following instructions above in NOTES for either salt or sugar rim. Fill each glass with ice cubes and set aside.
Fill a large cocktail shaker (or mason jar or container with a tightly fitting lid) with ice. A lot of ice is important so don't skimp! Squeeze the lime juice into the shaker and follow with the watermelon juice, tequila and orange liquor.
Shake vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes. Strain, serve immediately and Enjoy!
TIP: If your watermelon is super sweet, I recommend a salt rim. If the watermelon is semi-sweet or even tart, a coconut palm sugar rim will provide balance and you won't need to add any additional sugar to the drink!