Today is my Birthday!
Last year, I posted one of my all-time favorite sweet treats for my birthday – Prosecco Soaked Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberries.
This year, I am going to share the recipe for one of my favorite drinks – Blackberry Margaritas! Yes, I see that both involve alcohol but it is my birthday and that always deserves a bit of a celebration!
Generally, I am more of a wine than liquor kind of girl but I make exceptions for authentic (meaning no nasty sour mix) Margaritas, really good Dirty Vodka or Gin Martinis and a handful of other fun drinks like my Skinny Colada, Harvest Sangria and Raspberry Rosé Sangria (the Sangria’s are wine based though). Another summer favorite is a Watermelon Cooler with Citrus Vodka – I should post that recipe for you – it’s great for BBQ’s and Pool Parties!
Back to the margaritas though – when it comes to margaritas, I like to keep it simple.
You only need good Blanco Tequila, good Orange Liquor and fresh squeezed lime juice. Maybe a salt rim if you are into that and, of course, in this case some fresh fruit to infuse a fun flavor. Awesome authentic Margaritas are about excellent quality ingredients mixed at the perfect ratio and shaken over a lot of ice!
If you don’t like the tartness of Blackberries, feel free to substitute almost any fresh fruit. Strawberries, Raspberries, Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Pear and Mango work particularly well.
Oh, and see these beautiful pictures, yeah, they were taken by Pamela Bolig (Remember my photographer friend who is teaching me how to take better pictures?). Aren’t they gorgeous? That is my back patio – she made it look like a magazine but in reality it’s overgrown and needs some tender love and care. I think I am going to use the photos as inspiration for what I WANT the back to actually look and feel like. Thanks Pam!
Notes + Tips:
- To easily rim your serving glasses with kosher salt, take a small plate (larger than the circumference of the serving glass) and spoon a layer of kosher salt on the plate. Grab a lime wedge and slice a 1/4″ slit in the center. Place the lime slit over the lip of the glass and run it all the way around so the rim of the glass is covered with lime juice. Remove the lime wedge and gently dip the glass into the salt. Shake off any excess salt and continue using the same lime wedge and salt for all remaining glasses.
- Some brands (this is by no means comprehensive, just what I buy) of Blanco Tequila I like are Don Julio Tequila Blanco, Cabo Wabo Tequila Blanco, Patron Silver and my personal favorite for taste and price — Espolon Blanco Tequila.
- When it comes to Orange Liquor, I usually stick with Gran Gala, Patron Citronge Liqueur or Cointreau Liqueur. While I really love the taste of Grand Marnier Liqueur, I find it too heavy for Blanco Tequila.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Blackberry Margaritas Recipe. Homemade, Junk-Free and Delicious!
- 1 pint organic blackberries
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- blender or food processor
- mesh strainer
- Juice from 2 medium limes
- 2 tablespoons fresh blackberry puree see below
- 3 ounces Blanco Tequila
- 1 1/2 ounces Orange Liquor
- pinch sea salt
- kosher salt for rim optional
- ice cubes for shaking
Wash and rinse the blackberries. Place in the body of a blender or food processor and add 1 Tablespoon cold water. Process until completely liquefied.
Strain into a small bowl through a mesh strainer to remove seeds. Use a spatula or spoon to press the blackberry mixture down so you get all of the puree.
Fill a large cocktail shaker (or mason jar or container with a tightly fitting lid) with ice. A lot of ice is important so don't skimp! Squeeze the lime juice into the shaker and follow with the blackberry puree, tequila, orange liquor and a pinch a sea salt.
- Shake vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes. Strain, serve immediately and Enjoy!