These Sweet Potato Steak Fries are the perfect side dish for just about any meal. Make a big batch and you can reheat to crisp them back up!
We have been on a never-ending quest to get our older son to eat sweet potatoes. He doesn’t really like mushy foods and most of the ways that I prepare sweet potatoes are on the mushy side.
I do have these Old Bay Sweet Potato Fries, Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Crispy Garlic and simple Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes in my arsenal but truth be told he finds the Old Bay too spicy and the Crispy Garlic too intense.
Since he is a huge fan of steak fries – thick but wedge fries coated in a bit of seasoning – I decided to experiment with a sweet potato version that might appeal to him and the rest of the fam.
After a few iterations, I’m happy with this version and so is he! Extra bonus points – my husband and our toddler also love them. Extra super bonus points – these are super easy to make and have basically no prep time once you slice up the potatoes.
Alyssa | EverydayMaven
5 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 3 pounds large organic sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1.5 T paprika (or smoked paprika)
- 1/2 T kosher salt
- 1/2 T garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place oven racks at 2nd and 4th position and preheat oven to 425F. Line two baking sheets with tinfoil.
- Wash potatoes. Trim edges. Cut lengthwise in half. Cut each half into quarters and then each quarter in half again so that you have a total of 8 long fries per potato.
- Toss fries with avocado oil until well coated. Add spices and toss again.
- Place fries on baking sheets with one cut side down and make sure that they are spread out or they will not brown properly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes undisturbed.
- Remove, turn each fry and place back in the oven for an additional 25 to 30 minutes until crispy but not burnt.
- Serve warm with your favorite dip and Enjoy!