Notice a trend? I am knee deep in spaghetti squash right now thanks to a huge box from a local farm here in Squashington. You may think Washington is the apple and pear capitol of our country but this time of year, it’s squash central. Not complaining because you know I love me some spaghetti squash.
Whether it be a base for meatballs, turned into a low-carb pepperoni pizza, stuffed with mushrooms and beans, in the slow cooker with some sauce or as a casserole, it’s one of our favorite seasonal squashes.
This Spicy Sausage and Vegetable Spaghetti Squash Casserole is healthy comfort food at its finest. It is loaded with a ridiculous amount of vegetables and is naturally dairy free, grain free and lower carb.
If you are a cheese lover, you can easily add some ricotta cheese to the filling mixture and even some shredded or sliced mozzarella and grated Parmesan on top.
Best part of this casserole is that it reheats beautifully, can be made in advance and freezes great in individual portions.
- I have made this with both Spicy Italian Pork Sausage and Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage. Both work really well. If you use fresh sausage (uncooked), make sure to add it with the onions and garlic and saute until there is no pink visible.
- The spaghetti squash needs to be cooked in advance. There are many options.
- This Evo oil sprayer is my new favorite thing. I kind of wish I had gotten the stainless steel version but maybe I’ll put it on my holiday wish list.
- I used a 9 x 13 (3 quart) glass baking dish.
- You can assemble this in advance, cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours before cooking.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Spicy Sausage and Vegetable Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 1 large spaghetti squash cooked (about 2 to 2 1/4 pounds of cooked squash)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms stems trimmed and sliced into 1/8" thick slices
- 1/2 pound baby spinach leaves
- pinch kosher salt
- 3/4 pound Spicy Italian Sausage Chicken or Pork, crumbled or diced
- 24 ounce jar sugar free pasta sauce see NOTES
- 4 large eggs beaten
- flat leaf parsley for serving
Preheat oven to 425F. Lightly spray a
Finely chop the garlic and onion or use the food processor to save time.
If using fresh sausage, split open casings and crumble into a bowl. If using pre-cooked sausage, dice into bite sized pieces.
Clean mushrooms, trim stems and slice into 1/8" slices.
- Crack eggs into a dish or bowl and gently beat until fluffy. Set aside.
Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat. Once hot, add olive oil and then chopped garlic and onion. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add sliced mushrooms, baby spinach leaves, chopped sausage and pinch of salt. Continue cooking, approx. 3 to 4 minutes, until spinach is wilted and both the spinach and mushrooms have released some liquid.
- Remove from heat and drain the liquid.
Add (room temperature or chilled) sauce and pre-cooked spaghetti squash and stir until well mixed.
Finally, add in beaten eggs and stir until well combined.
Pour mixture into oiled baking dish and use a spatula to smooth and flatten.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool 15 minutes before cutting and serving. Once cooled, cut into 8 slices, serve topped with fresh parsley and Enjoy!