Oh my you guys – I am really excited about this Breakfast Casserole!
Remember a couple of weeks ago when I posted this Asparagus, Dill + Onion Egg Casserole? Well, that recipe inspired me to take it a step further and I began playing around with all kinds of ways to make the casserole more “quiche” like. I wanted something a bit more complex, lighter and fluffier but still sturdy enough to stand up to reheating.
The real secret here is separating 2/3 of the egg whites and beating them until foamy. This casserole has an airy delicate quality that is usually hard to achieve with that many egg yolks.
This is my new, “company is coming for brunch” stand-by. Don’t get me wrong – I still do love my overnight french toast casseroles. I am not saying I’m never making them again (calm down future overnight guests!) but for now, we are eating grain-free and this Breakfast Casserole is no slouch.
Of course you can customize the ingredient combination but after playing around a bit, the combo of spicy chicken sausage and broccoli rabe with shallot and parsley is my favorite.
- I used Spicy Chicken Sausage from Trader Joe’s. It is Whole30 compliant and sugar free. It is also full cooked which makes dicing it really easy. If you buy uncooked sausage, you may want to poach them for a couple minutes so that they firm up and are more manageable. Alternately, you could pull the uncooked sausage meat out of the casing and crumble it into the pan.
- This reheats beautifully and lasts a couple of days in the fridge. I did not try freezing it so if you do please let me know how the texture is after defrosting and reheating.
- I cut mine into 12 portions for 4 Points Plus Per Serving. If you want larger slices and cut this casserole into 9 portions, it is 6 Points Plus Per Serving. Not bad right?
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Paleo Breakfast Casserole. Chicken Sausage, Broccoli Rabe + Shallot.
- 2 tablespoons of Ghee or Butter divided
- 2 shallots
- 1 large bunch broccoli rabe cleaned, trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
- 12 ounces (3/4 pound) spicy chicken sausage
- 2.5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 18 large eggs divided
- 1/2 cup club soda
Grab a 9x13 oven-safe casserole dish, rub the insides with 1 Tablespoon of the Ghee and set aside.
Peel and finely chop shallots. Dice sausage.
Finely chop parsley. Measure 1/2 cup and set aside. Wash broccoli rabe and trim ends. Chop into 1 1/2 to 2" pieces.
Place two large work bowls on the counter top. Divide the egg white and yolks from 12 of the eggs. I like to use my hand but if that isn't your thing, there are many tools out there that you can buy to help with this.
Now, crack the remaining 6 eggs (egg and yolk) into the bowl with the 12 egg yolks.
Pour 1/2 cup club soda into the bowl of egg yolks / eggs.
Whisk the egg whites 1 to 2 minutes until they are foamy. I recommend that you whisk the whites first so that there is no yolk crossover. Even a drop of yolk will change the ability of the white to "fluff" up and get foamy.
Using the same whisk, whisk the egg yolks and eggs with the club soda 1 to 2 minutes until well mixed and there are bubbles on top.[img src="http://www.everydaymaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_9198.jpg" width="550"]
Preheat oven to 350F. Heat a very large skillet or pot (large enough to hold the shallot, sausage and uncooked broccoli rabe) over medium high heat. Once hot, add remaining 1 Tablespoon Ghee then chopped shallots and diced chicken sausage. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add in chopped broccoli rabe along with salt and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add 1 Tablespoon of cold water and cover with lid. Cook 3 to 4 more minutes and remove from heat.
Strain excess liquid and place mixture in a large mixing bowl (or return to pan but be sure not to put it back on the heat).
Toss in chopped parsley and stir to combine.[img src="http://www.everydaymaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_9196.jpg" width="550"]
Pour in eggs / yolks mixture and stir until well distributed. Next, pour in foamy whites. Gently fold the whites in and pour entire mixture into greased casserole dish (You may want to use a spatula or spoon to move the ingredients around so they look evenly spread out).
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until slightly browned on top and center of casserole doesn't look runny or loose.
Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting. Cut into 12 pieces, serve and Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @EverydayMaven on Instagram with the hashtag #EveryDayMaven and please give a star rating below.
If I make this the day ahead what would you suggest reheating it at? Thanks!
I usually pop one piece in the microwave with a paper towel on top for 45 seconds to 1 minute!