While this is a simple preparation, it is complex in flavor and perfectly balanced. Once you make this recipe, I have no doubt you will keep coming back to it time and time again.
I originally shared this recipe on social – but like my Parsnip Fries, have been making it again so often that I am pulling it out to share with all of you because if you like sweet potatoes, you need this preparation in your life!
Roasting the sweet potatoes in the oven is key because they caramelize so don’t skip that step and try boiling, or even worse, microwaving them!
- You could sub almost any plain, unsweetened milk for the coconut milk, just know it might slightly change the texture. I like the full-fat coconut milk here for the richness it adds.
5 Points Plus Per Serving -- Serves 8
5 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon full-fat coconut milk (from a can)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil. Scrub potatoes and poke each with a fork 4 to 5 times around.
- Bake for 1 hour, undisturbed.
- Remove from oven, let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Combine butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt and coconut milk in a large bowl. Split the potatoes down the middle and scoop the hot insides into the bowl with the butter mixture. Discard the skins (unless you like to eat them!).
- Use a large fork or potato masher to break up any large pieces or clumps and mash well.
- Serve hot and Enjoy!