We have not been cooking that much lately. Mostly because it has been hot. Not just regular summer in Seattle my house is warm because I don’t have central air hot but HOT like 90F for days and days. I have talked to death on here about how our house faces West and our kitchen gets exceptionally hot when it’s warm out but the last couple of weeks have been unbearable.
So unbearable that my cousins were here visiting us last week and I didn’t cook for us once! Not one meal. I had all of these grand plans and was so looking forward to making some yummy stuff for all of us but we unanimously voted to go out (somewhere with air conditioning) over and over again. They are used to central air and while they were good sports about it, they were (understandably!) not enthused with sitting around and sweating.
What little cooking has been happening has involved lots of salads and some minimal grilling. Most of the salads are pretty ordinary and comprised of whatever fresh vegetables we have lying around. After repeating that for a couple days, everyone was ready for a change.
Enter this Homemade Creamy Caesar Dressing. My friend Erina from The Attainable Gourmet is somewhat of a Caesar connoisseur. If there is anyone I trust when it comes to homemade Caesar, it is her. This recipe is based on hers but the flavors are a bit more intense based on how my family prefers Caesar dressing. If you love Caesar, make this once and it will quickly become your go-to staple!
- I always use Pecorino Romano. My preferred brand is Locatelli but if I can’t get that, I just get “Pecorino Romano”. It is always just a tad bit more expensive than regular Parmesan but the flavor is so much better, it’s totally worth it!
- If you are using coddled eggs, some white is OK so don’t freak out if it gets in there. If you want your dressing super, duper thick, make sure to only use the yolks.
- You can substitute anchovy paste. About 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons should do it.
- Use the best quality extra virgin olive oil you have! It will really impact the final flavor.
Adapted From: Caesar Dressing from The Attainable Gourmet
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Homemade Creamy Caesar Dressing
- 2 raw egg yolks or coddled eggs yolks
- 3 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- 4 to 5 medium cloves garlic smashed
- 1/2 medium lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 4 anchovy fillets smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil%http://www.everydaymaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/IMG_1014-533x400.jpg
Combine raw eggs (or coddled egg yolks).
Process for about a minute until completely smooth. Scrape down the sides if necessary.
Keeping the food processor running, very slowly drizzle in the olive oil. This will take a couple of minutes.
Once all of the olive oil is drizzled in, you should have a thick, creamy, emulsified Caesar dressing!
Serve as desired and store unused portion in an glass container with a tight fitting lid (think mason jar). Use within 3 to 4 days and Enjoy!