This Garlic Soup is infused with Spanish paprika, thyme, cauliflower, and Bone Broth to make an unbelievably thick and delicious soup that is dairy free and low carb! This recipe developed in partnership with Pacific Foods.
GARLIC SOUP RECIPE
Man, it is C-O-L-D here.
I did NOT miss East Coast Winter. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t dreaming of moving back to the PNW where winter is nothing much more than 55F rain with a heavy sweater or puffy coat.
Can I get a grey cloud, some Thai food and a cup of coffee, please?
These 15 and 20F degree days are not for me.
Soup is a must right now. Since we are smack in the most boring part of winter (when the holidays are over but the weather sucks), and, it seems like everyone is getting sick, we have got to be thinking about ingredients that help keep us healthy – like garlic.
My husband and I went to this tiny little Spanish restaurant for a date and I had the most lovely, silky and creamy Garlic Soup. It was laced with thyme, smoked paprika, and thickened with a rustic sourdough and then topped with fresh watercress.
I loved it so much that I took notes on the flavors. I’ve been working to recreate it for a while and I finally nailed it!
My version is free from dairy and gluten and low carb.
It is packed with an extra boost of protein from Pacific Foods’ Organic Beef Bone Broth. Plus, it freezes and reheats perfectly!
HOW TO MAKE GARLIC SOUP:
- Roast most of the garlic in extra virgin olive oil, fresh thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Sauté remaining garlic and onion in more olive oil.
- Add spices.
- Add cauliflower, bone broth, and fresh thyme.
- Simmer until veggies are soft.
- Add roasted garlic, purée and serve!
WHAT IS SPANISH PAPRIKA?
Spanish Paprika is usually made from Pimenton that is smoke-dried or placed on a grate above a fire. Once dried, the paprika is ground to a powder. Spanish Paprika has three main varieties.
Sweet; made from cherry-shaped peppers only without the seeds and ribs. <———- This is the kind used in this recipe.
Bittersweet; made from long peppers that are a dark red color without the seeds and ribs.
Hot; made from spicy peppers and include the seeds and ribs when ground.
Did I mention that once you roast the garlic, you are left with a DELICIOUS flavored olive oil to use up on anything and everything?
Let’s dive in and get cooking!
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
This Garlic Soup is infused with Spanish paprika, thyme, cauliflower, and Bone Broth to make an unbelievably thick and delicious soup that is dairy free and low carb!
- 30 cloves garlic medium to large
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 2.5 tsp Spanish smoked paprika (sweet)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound frozen cauliflower florets
- 4 cups Pacific Foods Organic Beef Bone Broth
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- handful watercress leaves
- pinch Spanish smoked paprika (sweet)
- drizzle roasted garlic oil (from roasting the garlic)
Preheat oven to 350F.
Add 30 garlic cloves to a small oven-safe dish. Top with 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, 10 sprigs of fresh thyme, and a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper.
Cover with tin foil and roast, undisturbed, for 40 minutes.
Once garlic is done roasting, carefully remove from oven and cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
Use a slotted spoon to remove garlic and set aside to add to soup.
Allow oil to cool and store in a covered glass jar. Use up in salad dressing, marinades or for cooking within 2 to 3 days.
While garlic is roasting, heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Once hot, add 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil.
Add roughly chopped sweet onion and remaining garlic cloves along with salt, paprika, and black pepper.
Sauté for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add in cauliflower florets and stir to coat with spices.
Add Pacific Foods Organic Beef Bone Broth and 10 sprigs of fresh thyme. Bring to a boil.
Once boiling, cover, immediately reduce heat to a simmer and for 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and add roasted garlic cloves to the pot.
Use an immersion blender to carefully purée the soup until it is completely smooth.
Serve topped with a drizzle of the roasted garlic oil, a sprinkle of smoked paprika and some fresh watercress leaves and ENJOY!
- The PREP TIME above assumes you are using already peeled garlic. You do not have to but please allow extra time to peel if you use whole garlic heads.
- Note that the NUTRITION INFO for each serving does NOT include the oil used to roast the garlic is that is a large amount that is not added in whole to the final dish.
- You can substitute FRESH cauliflower florets for the frozen with no changes to the recipe.
- If you like SPICY food or want a kick, substitute HOT SMOKED PAPRIKA.
- If you don't have an Immersion Blender, you can transfer the soup in batches to a food processor or regular blender, just be careful as it will be very hot.
- To SAVE TIME, you can roast the garlic in advance (up to two days).
Did you make this recipe? Tag @EverydayMaven on Instagram with the hashtag #EveryDayMaven and please give a star rating below.
DISCLOSURE: This post is part of a series of posts sponsored by Pacific Foods. Pacific Foods has compensated me for my time to develop this recipe as their Brand Ambassador for Broths. Thank you for supporting the brands that make EverydayMaven possible. All opinions are my own.
Oh YUM! I love garlic and can only imagine how amazing this soup tastes!!
You have to try it!