This Easy Turkey Soup with cabbage and turmeric is the perfect way to use up leftover turkey! Naturally Gluten Free and Low Carb. This recipe developed in partnership with Pacific Foods.
Holy cow – Thanksgiving is THIS WEEK.
I’m not freaking out or anything (hiding face).
You guys – we are hosting this year. Well, we have been hosting almost every year but it’s been on the small side because we were living in the PNW (miss it like crazy!!).
This year, we are back in PA, where most of our family lives and we are having 15 people over for Thanksgiving dinner.
No big deal right? Except, I haven’t started shopping or prepping anything. But, I do plan to spend a good chunk of time tomorrow remedying this.
deep breath. deep breath. deep breath.
One thing I do have set in stone is a plan to use up the leftover turkey meat. I’m going to make this Easy Turkey Soup.
It’s loaded with cabbage, mushrooms, celery, onion, carrot, fresh thyme, parsley and that beautiful yellow color – that is from ground turmeric.
Did I mention that this gorgeous soup is also gluten free, dairy free, Whole 30 compatible and Low Carb?
I partnered with my friends at Pacific Foods and used their Organic Turkey Bone Broth as the base. I highly recommend you make sure to have some on hand for basting, making homemade gravy and making all the Leftover Turkey soups, stews and chilis.
EASY TURKEY SOUP TIPS:
Here are some ways you can make this soup even easier.
- When you are putting away the turkey, cube 1 lb of leftover meat (skinless and boneless breast, thigh, etc.). Put it in a container for the soup.
- No judgment — grab already diced onion, celery and carrot if you can find it at your local grocery store. Just make sure you get at least 1 cup of each.
- Same for the mushrooms. Most grocery stores sell already sliced mushrooms. Toss those in the cart!
- Last but not least, grab a bag of already shredded green cabbage.
- You will literally save ALL of the prep time and get this soup up and cooking in 5 minutes.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
This Easy Turkey Soup with cabbage and turmeric is the perfect way to use up leftover turkey! Naturally Gluten Free and Low Carb.
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (can use butter if not avoiding dairy)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 T kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pound green cabbage shredded
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms stems trimmed and sliced
- 8 cups Pacific Foods Organic Bone Broth Turkey
- 1 large dried bay leaf
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1 pound cooked turkey meat cubed
Peel and dice onion
Trim celery ribs and dice. Peel carrots and dice. Measure 1 cup of each.
Core cabbage and cut into shreds. Trim mushroom stems and slice into 1/4" pieces.
Cube leftover (boneless, skinless) turkey meat.
Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Once hot, add oil along with diced onion, celery, carrot, fresh thyme and a pinch of salt.
Cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften and onion is aromatic.
Add turmeric, salt, pepper, shredded cabbage and mushrooms and stir to coat.
Cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cabbage and mushrooms begin to reduce.
Add broth, bay leaf and handful of parsley. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, immediately reduce heat to a simmer, add cubed turkey, cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
When ready to serve, fish out the bay leaf, parsley and thyme stems. Serve and Enjoy!
DISCLOSURE: This post is part of a series of posts sponsored by Pacific Foods. Pacific Foods has compensated me for my time to develop this recipe as their 2018 Brand Ambassador for Broths. Thank you for supporting the brands that make EverydayMaven possible. All opinions are my own.