These Sweet Potato Steak Fries are the perfect side dish for just about any meal. Make a big batch and you can reheat to crisp them back up!
We have been on a never-ending quest to get our older son to eat sweet potatoes. He doesn’t really like mushy foods and most of the ways that I prepare sweet potatoes are on the mushy side.
Since he is a huge fan of steak fries – thick but wedge fries coated in a bit of seasoning – I decided to experiment with a sweet potato version that might appeal to him and the rest of the fam.
After a few iterations, I’m happy with this version and so is he! Extra bonus points – my husband and our toddler also love them. Extra super bonus points – these are super easy to make and have basically no prep time once you slice up the potatoes.
5 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 3 pounds large organic sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1.5 T paprika (or smoked paprika)
- 1/2 T kosher salt
- 1/2 T garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place oven racks at 2nd and 4th position and preheat oven to 425F. Line two baking sheets with tinfoil.
- Wash potatoes. Trim edges. Cut lengthwise in half. Cut each half into quarters and then each quarter in half again so that you have a total of 8 long fries per potato.
- Toss fries with avocado oil until well coated. Add spices and toss again.
- Place fries on baking sheets with one cut side down and make sure that they are spread out or they will not brown properly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes undisturbed.
- Remove, turn each fry and place back in the oven for an additional 25 to 30 minutes until crispy but not burnt.
- Serve warm with your favorite dip and Enjoy!