I’m back! Last week was my son’s Spring Break and we tried to stay out of the house as much as possible. That also meant out of the kitchen and away from the computer (for the most part). One thing I made sure we had on hand was this Strawberry Coconut Granola.
My son has been on a granola kick since the winter when I made this CocoNutty Grain Free Granola (nut based). While we are still big fans of the CocoNutty granola, I created this Nut Free version a couple months back so that I could send my son to his preschool with a little baggie of it in his backpack (his school is nut free).
That, plus he has somewhat of an obsession with these dehydrated strawberries from Trader Joe’s. I have been making a lot of stuff out of them. Most recently, a strawberry pudding, but it needs a little more tweaking before I share it.
This granola is Nut Free, Grain Free, Vegan and only sweetened with pure maple syrup. It stores well, travels well and is perfect as a quick on-the-go snack, on top of yogurt, served with milk as a cereal or sprinkled on top of some chopped fruit for a faux crumble.
- The main photos for this recipe were shot by my friend and photography coach/teacher/inspiration, the superbly talented Pamela Bolig of Bolig Photography.
- This makes a huge batch. You could easily halve it if you are making it for one or just store (once completely cool!) in airtight glass containers and only have to make it once in a while – it lasts and stays crunchy for up to one month.
- TIP: If you live near a Trader Joe’s, they have great prices on raw nuts. If not, try the bulk section of your natural foods store or local grocer and only buy what you need for the recipe to keep costs down.
- I also buy the dehydrated strawberries at Trader Joe’s but have seen them at Whole Foods, Wegman’s, QFC and other “regular” grocery stores. Just make sure the only ingredients are strawberries. Alternately, you can order them online here.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Strawberry Coconut Granola. Grain Free, Nut Free and Vegan Granola.
- 1 pound raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 pound raw sunflower seeds
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup flax seed meal brown or golden
- 1/2 cup whole golden flax seeds
- 1/3 cup unhulled sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 3/4 cup melted virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract optional
- 1.2 ounce package freeze dried or dehydrated strawberries
Grab two baking sheets. Move oven racks to the 2nd and 4th positions from the top and preheat oven to 325F. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut flakes, flax meal, flax seeds, sesame seeds and sea salt. Use your hands to mix.%http://www.everydaymaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Grain-Free-Nut-Free-Strawberry-Coconut-Granola-7-533x400.jpg
In a measuring cup, measure 3/4 cup melted coconut oil with 1/2 cup maple syrup. Add vanilla and coconut extract to the measuring cup and stir to mix.%http://www.everydaymaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Grain-Free-Nut-Free-Strawberry-Coconut-Granola-8-533x400.jpg
Pour liquid mixture over dry mixture and use your hands to mix until evenly distributed. You could use a spoon or spatula but this is the kind of thing that is best mixed with clean hands so you can feel if the oil/sweetener mixture is well mixed.%http://www.everydaymaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Grain-Free-Nut-Free-Strawberry-Coconut-Granola-9-533x400.jpg
Spread half of the granola out on each baking sheet until you have one layer.%http://www.everydaymaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Grain-Free-Nut-Free-Strawberry-Coconut-Granola-10-533x400.jpg
Place in the oven and bake undisturbed for 15 minutes. Remove, use a spatula to mix around the granola and return to a single layer. Place back in the oven and bake an additional 15 minutes.
Remove and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before stirring in strawberries. Store (once completely cool) in an airtight glass container for up to one month. Enjoy!%http://www.everydaymaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Grain-Free-Nut-Free-Strawberry-Coconut-Granola-11-533x400.jpg%http://www.everydaymaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Grain-Free-Nut-Free-Strawberry-Coconut-Granola-1-533x400.jpg
Recipe Makes 60 1/4-Cup Servings OR 30 1/2-Cup Servings