A couple of weeks ago I found myself needing a quick appetizer to bring to small dinner party. I know this sounds super lame but I seriously had completely forgotten about it. This past year as been a bit anti-social for me. Honestly, it is probably the most reclusive period I can ever remember but I haven’t been feeling like myself and that doesn’t make me feel super social.
Anyway, I had just a couple of hours to figure it out and the baby was taking a nap so there was no running out to the store. After reviewing my pantry and fridge, I realized I had ingredients for an Antipasto.
I got this idea to make salami cups about a year ago at a food event and kind of tucked it away and promised myself I would bust it out sooner than later.
These Salami Antipasto Bites are a perfect appetizer for anyone who is Low Carb, Primal and Gluten Free. I did use marinated mozzarella but you could leave it off if you want this to be Dairy Free and Paleo. Or you could make half of them with the cheese and half without. I think the cheese really makes the dish!
All of the bold flavors of antipasto packed into one perfect bite. Make these for you next party or event and watch them disappear!
- Salami is sold in a variety of sizes. I found that the 4″ round slices make the most perfect one-bite cups.
- You can (and should!) make the filling in advance. It will save you time but also it tastes better after the flavors marinated together.
- Make sure you use marinated mozzarella and artichokes as they add a lot of the flavor to the filling. Trader Joe’s has relatively inexpensive, clean-ingredient versions of both of these!
1 Points Plus Each -- Recipe Makes 24
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 24 slices 4" round nitrite-free Salami (see NOTES)
- 12 to 15 marinated mini mozzarella balls, quartered
- 1/3 cup marinated artichokes, drained and quartered
- 1/4 cup roasted peppers, drained and chopped
- 10 to 12 pitted kalamata olives, quartered
- 6 to 8 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley (plus more for serving)
- Mini Muffin Pan
- Cooling Rack
- Serving Tray
- Preheat oven to 350F. Press each slice of salami into the muffin pan. Use your fingers to press the sides against each other and to make a "pleat" so they seal.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until fat has rendered and the cups are a bit crispy. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the muffin tin.
- Remove each salami cup from tin to a cooling rack lined with paper towels.Allow cups to cool completely before filling them. If you have a couple extra minutes, I recommend blotting them with a napkin or paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- While the salami cups are cooling, grab a mixing bowl. Add quartered mozzarella balls, artichoke hearts, chopped roasted peppers and quartered olives.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper (6 to 8 turns) and finely chopped parsley. Mix until well combined.
- Use a spoon to gently fill each salami cup, place on a serving tray, top with a touch of fresh parsley and serve immediately. Enjoy!