I know that most everyone is thinking about cutting sugar and carbs right about now and here I am with How To Make Perfect Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosting but bear with me.
Besides the fact that I am 9 months pregnant (!) and NOT in any way thinking about cutting anything out of my diet (yet), my son is turning five the first week of February. He is really excited about his birthday this year and we are having a pretty big birthday party for him. He wanted to invite his whole Pre-K class as well as his other friends, which is upwards of 25 kids.
Since our baby is due just about 2 weeks before, we are clearly having this party outside of our house and seriously hoping that baby #2 doesn’t come too too late and steal big brother’s party thunder.
If you follow me on Instagram, then you know I have been experimenting with a Grain-Free Vanilla Bean Birthday Cake and after many, many tries, have perfected it and will be posting that recipe later this week. This is the icing that accompanies the cake.
All at my son’s request. He was adamant about wanting vanilla bean everything and as any guilt-ridden mom who is about to have her second baby any day, I am all about giving my first baby the best party ever!
- This is real frosting. Pure butter and powdered sugar. Yes, it’s gluten free and grain free but it’s not Paleo, Healthy or any of the above. I am in the camp that the occasional treat isn’t going to kill anyone. With that being said, I still use pastured butter and organic powdered sugar to make this a little less evil.
- You need a stand mixer OR hand mixer to make this frosting.
- Since this is Vanilla Bean Frosting, I highly recommend sticking with using real vanilla bean pods. If you can’t get those, your next best option is Vanilla Bean Paste.
- Part of the magic of this frosting is using half salted butter and half unsalted. My mom always made frosting this way so I learned it from her. It really amps up the flavor and makes the frosting special so don’t skip this step!
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
How To Make Perfect Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosting.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, room temperature
- 1 vanilla bean pod scraped plus 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons organic half & half or full fat coconut milk from a can
Combine salted and unsalted butter in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the
Use a sharp paring knife to slice the vanilla bean pod in half and run the back of the knife blade down the inside of each pod half to scrape out the seeds.
Add in the scrapings from the vanilla bean pod plus 1/4 teaspoon of high quality pure vanilla extract to the whipped butter.
Mix for 1 to 2 minutes until vanilla bean seeds are evenly distributed. You should see nice black vanilla flecks in the butter.
Lower the mixing bowl and remove the beater blade. Place a
Slowly shake the strainer back and forth until the powdered sugar is sifted and all that is left are the lumps.
I usually use a butter knife to break these larger lumps apart and continue sifting until all I am left with are the small particles that I don't want in my frosting then I discard those.
Remove mesh strainer, place blade back on and lock bowl in place. Start the mixer on the lowest setting (or you will have a major mess!) and work up to speed 4 until all of the powdered sugar is well incorporated into the butter.
Add in the half and half (or coconut milk) and continue beating until well mixed.
That's it! Use as desired to frost a cake, cupcakes, cookies, breads, etc. and Enjoy!
Makes enough to frost a 9" round 2-layer cake