These brownies are based on my mom’s recipe.
She has been making this amazing brownie recipe for as long as I can remember. Any of my personal friends reading this may remember eating them at a baby shower, birthday party or some other event.
Her brownies are amazing.
They are, however, loaded with white sugar, white flour, butter and marshmallows.
Last week we were talking about her recipe and how to make it Grain-Free, Gluten-Free and with unrefined sugar.
After some back and forth, we decided to use the base of the recipe and tweak it (pretty substantially). The evolution of that recipe are these Hazelnut Brownies.
One of the things that is so appealing about her original brownie recipe is how fudgy the inside of the brownies are.
They are just firm enough so they don’t fall apart but melt in your mouth creamy and chocolaty. I am beyond excited with the final Hazelnut Brownie recipe I am sharing with you.
Not only are these as fudgy, creamy and chocolaty, but they are Gluten Free, Grain Free and Paleo Friendly!
You are going to love them! You could also use this brownie recipe as the base to make a Gluten Free Brownie Trifle!
- I used an 8 x 12 cake pan. My mom’s trick is that she always buys a disposable foil pan one from the Dollar Store, doesn’t use the parchment paper and then cuts open the sides (since it’s basically thick foil) once the brownies have cooled. She cuts the brownies and then tosses the pan.
- Storage: I recommend a serving plate with some tin foil over top. Don’t store in a plastic container or they will get too moist.
- I haven’t tried it but I am sure you could substitute almond flour / dry roasted almonds or another nut like pecans, walnuts or macadamia nuts.
- Another yummy dessert made with nuts and marshmallows are these Gluten Free Magic Cookie Bars from my friend Flippin Delicious!
- If you are gluten-free and KETO – you will want to try these Peanut Butter Brownies!
- If you are looking for a nut-free, allergy-friendly option, try these Brownie Bombs!
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Hazelnut Brownies. Paleo, Grain Free and Gluten Free Hazelnut Brownies. Free of Refined Sugar.
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 extra large eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/8 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1 cup gluten free chocolate chips such as Enjoy Life Mini Chips
- 3/4 cup dry roasted hazelnuts crushed and divided into 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup hazelnut flour/meal
- 8x12 brownie or cake pan
TIP: To easily crush dry roasted hazelnuts, place in a large measuring cup and use the next size down measuring cup to crush by applying pressure with your palm.
- Line 8x12 brownie or cake pan with parchment paper. Set oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 325F. Set up a double boiler and melt unsweetened baking chocolate along with butter. Once melted, remove from heat and set aside.
Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to beat eggs, palm sugar, espresso powder and sea salt together until well combined (on medium for about 2 minutes).
Remove bowl from mixer and stir in melted butter and chocolate mixture.
Next, stir in chocolate chips, 1/2 cup of crushed hazelnuts and vanilla extract.
Finally, add in hazelnut flour and stir until well combined. Pour brownie batter into parchment lined baking pan.
Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup crushed hazelnuts over the top and place in oven. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until center feels firm to touch.
Remove to a cooling rack and allow brownies to cool (in pan) for at least 1/2 hour before cutting. Once cool, lift parchment paper and transfer brownies to cutting board. Cut into 24 2" x 2" squares and Enjoy!
Recipe Makes 24 (2" x 2") Brownies