This Gluten Free Vegetarian Lasagna is healthy comfort food at its finest!
While I grew up celebrating Hanukkah, my extended family celebrated Christmas and we were lucky enough to be included in those celebrations year after year. My Italian aunt always made a huge spread for Christmas dinner. There was usually a roasted turkey or ham but alongside that was stuffed shells, manicotti, Sunday gravy with pork and meatballs and insane amounts of cheese, cured meats, crackers, bread-sticks and cookies of every kind.
It was truly a feast and it was amazing. Over the years as my husband and I have developed our own holiday traditions, one that has stuck is a big Italian meal on Christmas Eve and it’s slowly but surely evolved to be a rich and comforting lasagna.
I’ll usually make a half and half (half vegetarian / half sausage) lasagna but this year decided to go with an all-vegetarian version. If you have meat lovers at your table, you can always serve some browned Italian sausage on the side, but, I don’t even think you need it.
One big square of this and a nice green salad and you will be in holiday comfort food heaven.
- There are many good brands of Gluten Free pasta out there but I really love Jovial Foods texture and taste the best.
- Make sure you do not reduce the amount of sauce as some of it is absorbed by the noodles as they cook (since we are not pre-cooking them!).
- You need a 9 x 13 glass baking dish or other casserole style baking dish.
- I recommend you use organic frozen spinach (it’s cheaper and easier!).
- Once cooked and cooled, this freezes great!
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
This Gluten Free Vegetarian Lasagna is healthy comfort food at its finest!While I grew up celebrating Hanukkah, my extended family celebrated Christmas and
- 4 to 5 cups of your favorite marinara sauce see NOTES
- 1 9 ounce box gluten free no cook Lasagna Noodles (see NOTES)
- 1 pound whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound frozen organic chopped spinach
- 8 ounces mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 medium cloves garlic crushed
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 pound whole milk mozzarella thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound grated Locatelli or Pecorino Romano
Mix ricotta cheese, eggs, salt, parsley, black pepper and red pepper together until well combined.
Clean mushrooms and thinly slice.
Slice mozzarella with a
Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil and then sliced mushrooms, frozen spinach, crushed garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, using a spatula or wooden spoon to break up spinach, until warmed through and there is liquid pooling in the pan.
Remove from heat, drain well (really press the water out!) and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350F. Line up lasagna noodles, marinara, ricotta cheese mixture, drained veggies, sliced mozzarella and grated cheese.
Begin assembling by spreading 1/2 cup of marinara on the bottom of your baking dish.
Add one layer of uncooked noodles (about 3 to 4 noodles / noodle pieces).
Use a spatula to spread 1/2 of the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles.
Sprinkle 1/3 of the drained veggie mixture. Spread 1 cup of marinara over the veggies and top with 1/3 of the sliced mozzarella and sprinkle with 1/3 of the grated cheese.
Add layer of uncooked noodles (about 3 to 4 noodles / noodle pieces). Top with 1 1/2 cups of marinara.
Use a spatula to spread remaining 1/2 of the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles.
Sprinkle 1/3 of the drained veggie mixture. Top with 1/3 of the sliced mozzarella and sprinkle with 1/3 of the grated cheese.
Add remaining noodles / noodle pieces. Cover with 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce, remaining sliced mozzarella and remaining veggie mixture.
Sprinkle generously with remaining grated cheese.
Loosely cover with tin foil (you do not want the foil to get stuck to the cheese!) and bake for 45 minutes.%http://www.everydaymaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/IMG_2277.jpg
Remove foil and continue baking uncovered for an additional 45 minutes or until top is brown and bubbly.
Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting. Cut into 8 large or 12 medium pieces, serve warm and Enjoy!